Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

installing a spoiler... anyone know how or where i should go?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 09:17 PM
Default installing a spoiler... anyone know how or where i should go?

any replies would be appreciated.

i just purchased a spoiler for my 6i and was wondering if anyone here has any experiance on how to install one. i have instructions but there are no pics and it wasn't very detailed. honestly i was just thinking about having someone install it and save myself the hassle. anyone have any suggestions as to where i should go? should i just go to a local body shop? i wouldnt even know where to start. any ideas on how much they would charge me? it doesnt seem like a difficult job. i think if i paid someone $50 bucks to install it they would be happy. seems like a reasonable price to me anyway.

Old 03-17-2007, 05:32 AM
Default RE: installing a spoiler... anyone know how or where i should go?

what kind of spoiler is it? does it have a brake light on it, if so then u probably need the dealers to do it so they can hook up the light with out throwing lights. i its just a plain spolier all you gotta do is measure, drill some holes, bolt it down.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:47 AM

Im just guessing, but I think they would charge more than 50 bucks. At least an hours worth of labor maybe more...

Old 03-17-2007, 11:01 AM

The wire harness for the 3rd brake light should already be in your trunk lid, so hooking it up should be as simple as making a connection. Don't leave both the rear window and spoiler 3rd brake lights hooked up at the same time as it draws too much power and you pop fuses...

I installed a factory aftermarket "S" spoiler on my friends "i" model. The kit came with a paper template that you tape down to the trunk lid. You have to drill (4) holes. It's actually very easy. (I used a spring loaded centerpunch, and a "step" drill bit. That is the best way to get a nice uniform hole. A little touch-up paint around the raw edges of the newly drilled holes and you're good as factory.

I'd guess it took me maybe 2 hours, but only because I measured everything a ton of times to make sure it was straight.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:21 PM

hey wow sstlaure, seems like i might have gotten the same one that you installed. i purchased it from ebay. it comes with a template and everything too. it may not have been oem but as far aslooks, quality, and fit,it definitelyseemsas well as a mazda factory oem. it is too, also for my 6i. i havent installed it yet since i dont have the *****. [&:] still thinking of just going to a guy i know. hes quoting me $75. problem is, i dont have the tools or else i might consider doing it myself.

so yeah, you were saying that i should disconnect thewindow brake light? dang i was hoping to leave it on as well as the spoiler light... i want people to KNOW they need to STOP! when they see all them lights haha lol [8D]well i guess its not too much of an issue.

does that mean thatother mazda 6's that come with a rear spoiler stockalso do not have rear window lights? or do they have them on as well as the spoiler? if thats the case, that kinda bites... i dont want to be blowin fuses left and right though.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:52 AM

If the vehicle came from the factory with a spoiler, then it is only equipped with the 3rd brake light in the spoiler. If it didn't get the spoiler, then it got a CHMSL (Center High Mount Stop Lamp)