Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Jerky at low revs

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 07:48 AM
Default Jerky at low revs

Hi guys.

I am driving a Mazda 6 Automatic 2.0 2005...

I have recently replaced

- Spark plugs (mazda platinum)
- Air filter (Mazda)
- Drained and filled Dexron III (Purchased ATX Fluid from Mazda) ATX fluid
- Replaced ATX filter (mazda)

The problem, that I need your help with :

When I release the brake pedal (so that the car rolls forward on its own) occaisonally, it will start to jerk between 930-980 revs and this feels like it is misfiring..

Sometimes this never happens. It almost always happens when the revs fluctuate (low rev rolling), e.g. when the A/C compressor comes on or when I do a full lock steering, the jerkiness can be quite strong...

When I then place some acceleration this just goes away and it acts normal (sometimes there are delays in accleration or it accelerates too willingly...)

Some ideas I was thinking:

- Clogged Fuel Injectors
- Spark plug wires need changing
-Ignition timing needs adjusting
- Engine timing...
- Fuel Filter (located inside fuel tank) needs changing...

Can someone please help identify possible problems, give me your opinions...Thanks in advance.

Regards

M6Newb...

Old 11-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Default RE: Jerky at low revs

Here you go-
http://forum.mazda6tech.com/about3015.html

This should hopefully fix the problem. My car does the same thing...

Old 11-11-2006, 04:24 AM

thanks for your input Mazda6irl.

I was looking at that problem, and I dont think it is shift shock related, since the Jerky movement occurs when the car is rolling forward under its own steam, I.E. in 1st gear, when I let go of the brake pedal, the automatic just moves forward and appears to be misfiring...

Anyone else, please have a go, dont be shy...

Old 11-11-2006, 06:24 AM

This is just my $.02.

1. Engine/Ignition timing is going to be computer controlled, the only way for you timing to be off is going to be if the motor was being disassebled to where the cams may have been moved/the cams slipped on the chain, or the cam/crank position sensors / Throttle Position sensor(s) are bad. Could also be computer, but computers don't typically just go bad.

2. Fuel filter typically causes hesitation during acceleration when there is more demand for fuel and the clogged filter doesn't allow for enough pressure.

3. Car seems a little new for needing plug wires and, you should consistantly feel less acceleration/power available.

4. Same thing with clogged injectors. (You could try running a good fuel injector/fuel system cleaner to attempt to unclog the injectors or pay the $100 for a fuel system flush)

Considering this happened after you changed the trans oil, I would make sure you got enough or not too much trans fluid, though I'd hope the dealer was able to give you the correct amount of trans fluid. Could be a problem concerning the clutch pack(S) in the trans?

Hope I helped.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:23 PM

Yeah, my car will jerk when I let off the pedal and it is sort of idling. I get one kind of big jerk. I will be taken mine in soon..

Old 11-14-2006, 08:49 AM

Just to add:

The jerky reaction can also be initiated (while rolling forward under its own idling power - automatic) by Using the steering wheel at full or full lock turn. Then it does a noticable jerk, until I level off straight and then it will do less of the noticable jerking...The A/C compressor also causes a jerk at idling rolling forward...

Under acceleration or faster speed, there isnt any problems with the above...

I have also changed one tyre recently, and I now hear a whirring sound (orginating from the tyre changed) as I increase speed, the whirring increases...

I purchased the car used and it had no warranty...what a mistake I made ...

Old 11-14-2006, 03:08 PM

my '06 6 kinda does the same thing: when i slam on the accelerator it seems to hesitate then, after a second or two, it kicks in. and sometimes when i'm just idle the RPM's will all of a sudden dip way down then shoot right back up....WTF?!?!??! i think it has something to do with the computer. i heard from here that there is an update that you can get downloaded to your computer from the dealership....i'm gonn try it...as for your no warranty situation...not a good move buddy. BUT, you can still buy a warranty from an outside company! there almost as comprehensive as the manufacturer's...just google it.....good luck...

[IMG]local://upfiles/2802/7FD863FB5A614C6BB189DF5400C0AF1D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-15-2006, 05:06 AM

I just had a flash though it is something simple. When you installed the spark plugs (if you did it yourself), did you propperly gap them?

Old 11-15-2006, 07:13 AM

Good thawt JB!!! Definetly a possibility!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/2802/D3E3620B2887434EA77549CC2C13F0AA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-16-2006, 04:31 AM

TY zen. I remember one of my former co-workers had an eclipse and ran into a problem with misfiring when he installed plugs without gapping them. They were only of by like 2 thousandths and he was having this problem. He thought it was his coil, but the problem came back like a week after he installed the new coil. So he checked the plugs, regapped them, and BINGO, no misfire.

Quick Reply: Jerky at low revs