Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

key fob not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Truce
Its a Mazda 6 2004. Sedan.
fob worked yesterday and then quit so I replaced battery. Now it won’t work.
I have one other key and fob. It hasn’t worked since I changed battery a year or two ago.

I followed all the steps. Car responded and doors locked etc.
But when I pushed button on key fob there was no response.

Many thanks for trying to help me !
I also have an '04 Mazda 6. Replaced the battery in the car. I don't drive the car much after changing the battery. About a week or two later the fob started barely working. Like the battery inside was nearly out. Then it stopped working.

Replaced the fob battery, checked the contacts. Looked for fuse issues and tried the above steps. Everything worked as advertised except the key fob presses. The doors didn't respond to button presses on the fob. Neither key fob worked when I tried the resync process. My original fob hasn't worked in years but I figured I'd give it a try. There is no light on my key fob, didn't have one in 2004.

Last edited by chuppernicus; 09-03-2019 at 07:57 PM. Reason: no light on 2004 fobs
Old 11-02-2019, 05:06 AM

I also have the same problem, my fob key is showing that it works, but nothing is responding on the car. Have tried everything that everybody has suggested, but nothing has worked. Has anyone got any ideas about anything else that might work.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:47 AM

Here is a detail that I should have mentioned in my previous post, but, at the time, I had forgotten.

Some short period of time before my key fob stopped working the car stopped locking the doors when the car reached the prescribed speed. At the time I did not think much about it, but now I have to suspect that there is some connection between that problem and the subsequent failure of the key fob. I suspect that the problem is not in the fob at all but rather in the receiver unit in the car. My first thought was that the problem is in the software. Using instructions I found online, I have tried several times to reprogram the locking unit. So far I have not succeeded. From time to time I try again.

Old 01-19-2020, 01:32 PM

Wow... was so close and happy when I found this thread... my son's car keyfob battery died for about 2 weeks before I replaced the battery. My spare keyfob was also dead. I replaced both batteries and both units light up fine when buttons pressed, but no response from the car... I followed the steps all all work well expect for bloody STEP7!!! I'm thinking my keyfobs are fine as they both light up, issue must be something about the receiver in the car now?? Oh yea, this is a 2006 Mazda 6 w/ 44K miles on it!! Bought it from an older women who only drove it to Dunkin in the morning for coffee and senior citizens! Great car, if only I can get the keybobs to work! Has anyone figured out why STEP7 is failing for everyone trying this?? Any other ideas?

Old 01-26-2020, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mazmart Trini
This. The fob will have to be reprogrammed.

"Step 1: Open drivers door and leave open.

Step 2: Lock and unlock the driver’s door using the power door lock switch on the door.

Step 3: Insert key into the ignition.

Step 4: Turn key to on position and return to off position. (IMPORTANT - use ON position NOT ACC position). Do this 3 times within 10 seconds. Leave key in the ignition.

Step 5: Open and close the driver’s door 3 times. (Door should be left open after this step).

Step 6: ECU should respond by locking and unlocking the doors.

Step 7: Press any button on remote #1 twice. ECU responds by locking and unlocking the car doors.

Step 8: Press any button on remote #2 (etc.) twice. Each time the ECU will respond by locking & unlocking the doors.

Step 9: Remove the key from the ignition and the ECU will respond a final time with a series of door locks and unlocks."
You’re a bloody genius. After loosening the positive battery terminal, an alarm went off so I screwed it back on as before. This is the key part of the process. After that your instructions worked like a charm. Subscribed just to say thanks heaps 😁👍

Old 01-30-2020, 04:13 AM

It seems like you have to reprogram the same & we would assist you within the same.

Old 02-07-2020, 05:25 AM

Hi!

I have an older Mazda 6, 2005 model. One of the key fobs stopped working and now using an older key which the battery has long run out but the key still starts the car.

Anyway, I wanted to try the reprogramming process quoted below to test if this might fix the key fob but am concerned if it doesn't work for whatever reason, could it throw the other working key out so it doesn't work as well?

I've had the car for 12 years and never had this problem before with the key suddenly not working and unable to start the engine.

Failing this of course I will go to a locksmith and have another key prepared and coded.

Many thanks
Steve

Originally Posted by Mazmart Trini
This. The fob will have to be reprogrammed.

"Step 1: Open drivers door and leave open.

Step 2: Lock and unlock the driver’s door using the power door lock switch on the door.

Step 3: Insert key into the ignition.

Step 4: Turn key to on position and return to off position. (IMPORTANT - use ON position NOT ACC position). Do this 3 times within 10 seconds. Leave key in the ignition.

Step 5: Open and close the driver’s door 3 times. (Door should be left open after this step).

Step 6: ECU should respond by locking and unlocking the doors.

Step 7: Press any button on remote #1 twice. ECU responds by locking and unlocking the car doors.

Step 8: Press any button on remote #2 (etc.) twice. Each time the ECU will respond by locking & unlocking the doors.

Step 9: Remove the key from the ignition and the ECU will respond a final time with a series of door locks and unlocks."

Last edited by $teve; 02-07-2020 at 05:29 AM.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:27 PM

Hello there
I'm struggling with the same problem on my mazda 2006 zoom 6. My key battery died for 2 days then I replaced the battery but no action taking while pressing on the button even the romote red light work while pressing. I tried the reprogramming and worked all the steps right but step #7 not working. The car doesn't respond to the key no matter what. Please i just want to know if its remote problem so i buy another and reprogram the new when which gonna take almost 2 months to get delivered to me. Or the reciever in the car broken and the remote not the reason. Please reply as soon as possible. Thanks

Old 04-18-2020, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

How many keys/remotes do you have?

Do you have the separate remote, or the incorporated flip key?

Old 04-18-2020, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
How many keys/remotes do you have?

Do you have the separate remote, or the incorporated flip key?
only one. The flip key

Quick Reply: key fob not working