Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

LCD display and after-market suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Default LCD display and after-market suggestions

For some reason, my LCD display is not showing all the characters. What's really strange is that, sometimes, the LCD display will show all figures (time, stereo mode, etc.) and other times, the time, for example, has figures that are only half there or not there at all. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, was there an inexpensive, non-dealership, fix? On the other hand, I've been thinking about putting a cold air intake in. I've researched a few companies - AEM, etc. I'm not sure which is the best for the money. I know intakes add a little HP by incresing the aspiration, but is there one in particular that maximizes the effect? I've considered K&N, but that doesn't strike me as a good option because the restrictive intake is still in place. If anybody has any suggestions - bring it on!

Old 03-12-2008, 08:58 AM
Default RE: LCD display and after-market suggestions

It sounds like the LCD display may be bad. If you can PM me the last 8 digits of your Vin, I can check to see if we have one in stock. If you have a V6, CPE & AEM would be the best choices for intakes.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:39 AM

ORIGINAL: chkimbrell

For some reason, my LCD display is not showing all the characters. What's really strange is that, sometimes, the LCD display will show all figures (time, stereo mode, etc.) and other times, the time, for example, has figures that are only half there or not there at all. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, was there an inexpensive, non-dealership, fix? On the other hand, I've been thinking about putting a cold air intake in. I've researched a few companies - AEM, etc. I'm not sure which is the best for the money. I know intakes add a little HP by incresing the aspiration, but is there one in particular that maximizes the effect? I've considered K&N, but that doesn't strike me as a good option because the restrictive intake is still in place. If anybody has any suggestions - bring it on!
you are going to have to be a little more specific with your vehicle. if you have the 3.0L then any intake is going to significantly help your vehicle to a point. A 2.3L is not going to have huge gains as opposed to the 3.0L obviously. I'm going to talk about the 3.0L though. The K&N is going to gain you the least amount of gains. Next would be the Injen which CP-E has an injen tuning box to add alot more horsepower over the K&N. The CP-E intake is going to be your biggest power gain right now being that it has a 3 inch internal diameter which is more than other intakes. Also, it has a tuneable version for big amounts of power but it involves splicing into your ecu wiring which is the same for their injen fix as well.

If you wait around, I would recommend the Injen intake. Why do I say this? Well, a potential flasher-type EMS is currently being developed and is currently being tested on miatas and the rx-8. If this is the case that it works with the CanbusII, then we are going to be lucky and have a tuner for our vehicles that will make your vehicle much more powerful for the same price as the CPE intake but with alot more options added onto it. Keep a lookout for my posts on this forum as I am in close contact with some people at this company that are helping this creation come to life!

Old 03-12-2008, 11:33 AM

First of all, I'd like to say that the "failure to give a damn" window on your signature is hilarious. Where'd you get that? Also, my 6 is the 2.3 version. I know that the gains aren't going to be as big when adding a cold air intake. On the other hand, I had a Civic (1.6 L, SOHC, Non-VTEC) that I used an intake with, and there was a slightly noticable gain, plus the car did sound a lot better. Do you have any suggestions for 2.3 L? I know that the maximum gain on some makes of intakes is approximately 6 HP @ 6,000 rpm. Let me know-

Old 03-12-2008, 01:01 PM

In all honesty, I've been told by 2.3L owners that any intake will do. Your car will have a little bit more of a "peppiness" with any addition you add on. With that being said, you could just use an AEM (alot of people prefer that over the K&N for whatever reason). Are you just trying to go for sound or a slight touch of performance as well?

If you want more performance, I would recommend that you can add a bored-out throttle body for around $250 and that will really help your car breathe (average of 15% more airflow for a 60mm) and perhaps lose some weight on your vehicle through lighter rims, gutting out your vehicle, taking spare tire out, etc.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:02 PM

oh, and my avatar... i came across that a while ago and just browsed through my computer files and found it. when i find something funny like that, i save it haha. thanks!