Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

mazda 6 intake problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Default mazda 6 intake problems

i own an 05 mazda 6i...and i love it...neway i purchased a short ram air intake by AEM from ebay...well i installed it exactly the way it showed in the diagram and checked over it numerous times to ensure proper installation...but here's the problem, i then proceeded to drive my car and when i started it up it stalled right out...so i started it again and it would idle very sluggishly trying to stay running but would struggle for a while then would stall...my check engine light came on as well. i looked at the description of the product and noticed that it said 03-04 models with automatic trans. only (mine is an 05 with a 5 speed...does that matter???) so nervous that it might mess up my new car i took it off and reinstalled all the stock stuff...i returned the item and got a refund, but i am wondering why my car was acting up... i know it was installed properly, with the sensors and everything but it just didnt make sense to me cuz its only airflow...but does anyone have any comments on this???

Old 05-25-2006, 11:57 PM
Default RE: mazda 6 intake problems

hey welcome to the forum, your question is one that i had of my own, about the difference between the same intake for auto or manual, this is what im guessing, the piping is appently differnent as in terms of the bending angles the size of the pipe the length even the sensor placement is different i dont know how much of a difference is for each of these aspects, but i guess its enough for them to make a pipe for a auto and manual.

Old 05-26-2006, 12:05 AM

My guess is that if the intake says its for 2003-04 automatic models, then it obviously wasnt meant for your 2005 5-speed manual. it doesnt seem to complicated to me.

Old 05-30-2006, 06:00 PM

you obviously didnt read my entire post then did you...wise guy...

Old 05-30-2006, 08:44 PM

yeah, i did read it, baddy. you asked for comments, and i gave you mine. that intake was obviously not working on your 2005 5-spd manual, because it was designed for the 2003-04 automatic m6.

Old 05-30-2006, 10:43 PM

Did memorial day make everyone around here besides lupae seem to think they are right all of a sudden? 1badsx you stated the years and lupae responded, then you go against him[sm=badidea.gif]

Old 05-30-2006, 11:05 PM

see if i can help?

1st off there are 3 typical problems

1)vacuum leak
2)MAF connection
3)vacuum leak!

i haven't seen the newer setup, but there 2 places for air to get in (if the pipe is on the TB correctly). first is by the breather hose connection (hose from the valvecover) and the most likely issue would come from the nipple on the manifold that would have connected the VAD valve/sensor. if in the front of the car, it's on the right side of the manifold, about 6-8" left of the TB and below a larger vacuum nipple (large on top, small right below). you can either put a screw of sorts in hose, or remove the hose and just put a cap on the nipple.

if you have an idle problem, you typically have unmetered air coming in and that's causing serious fluctuations by the ecu. check those things and see what happens. i believe the biggest differences in the model #'s for the intake is going to be mounting points and i believe the connector for the hose form the valvecover.

good luck

Old 05-30-2006, 11:19 PM

THIS WAS A LOT MORE HELPFUL THAN THAT LUPAE CHARACTER...THANKS FOR ACTUALLY PUTTING FORTH SOME EFFORT AND GIVING ME SENSIBLE HELP...I APPRECIATE IT

Old 05-31-2006, 12:56 AM

dang...youre so bad, dude.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:01 AM

our engine's computers are verrrrry sensitive, they are made to be unaltered in a sense. now the cai was made for a 03/04 model with auto trans. this was so because it is the closest thing the manufacturer could create to replicate a workable alternative for the engine computer. as the years progress through the model lines, manufacturers (mazda is what i'm talking about now, not the cai company) move around sensors and wiring which will then not allow the vehicle (your 2005) to operate in teh same sense. the sensors are made to record from a certain point on your vehicle, and when the sensors are moved in newer models, the readings are off which then mess up your air/fuel ratio, hence the reason of stalling. hope that made sense, i am kinda tired and out of it haha!

Quick Reply: mazda 6 intake problems