Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Mazda 6 - should I?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 07:02 PM
Default Mazda 6 - should I?

I am contemplating getting a Mazda 6. Here in the UK petrol options include 1.8, 2.0 and 2.3 litre versions (I know - most things are smaller in the UK than they are in the US!). Also various diesels. The one I will probably go for is the 2.0 litre TS2 Hatchback. All the UK specs can be found here: http://www.mazda.co.uk

So ...

Tell me all you can that you love about your Mazda 6's. And all you hate about them.

I currently drive an MG ZS 180 (2.5 V6) - 0-60mph in 7.3 secs with suspension and balance that sticks it to the road like glue. Not a refined car in terms of in-car comfort and electronic toys but the most thrilling drive I've ever had. My lease ends in Oct 05 and now that MG Rover is no more[>:], I can't go for a straight replacement. The natural replacement would be a Subaru Imprezza but common sense, cost and family practicality mean that I'm looking at more sensible cars.

So does the Mazda 6 strike the right balance between driver enjoyment and practicality? Will it thrill me? What is the drive like? Will I learn to love it or forever regret the loss of my MG?

Regards,

Jon

Old 04-25-2005, 11:31 PM
Default RE: Mazda 6 - should I?

jonjc- I've never driven an MG like yours but it sounds tight & quick. I wanted a more sporting ride than what my previous 2 cars ('03 Accord Coupe 2.4L, '00 Passat 1.8T) gave, ended up with a 6S. Drove a lot of more expensive cars- Acura TSX & TL, Infinity G35x, but not BMW as they seem overpriced and the 3 series is tight on space. The 6 is the best handling sedan, IMO, for the money- and 10K less than the TL, G35 and BMW. Not as refined and not really in the same category, but loads of fun. Thing that sold me- the hatchback, I need to carry large items from time to time and it is awesome.
Positives: Tight ride, minimal body roll, quick at the midrange (I have 5 spd auto), vy comfy seats, good looks, got loaded w/leather, sunroof, sport pkg, and Bose for just under 23K.
Negatives: The 5 speed auto is ok but not great, shifts abruptly and sometimes at odd points (lags from 1-2), the 6 speed on the '05 is supposed to be much better; road noise a little high but not objectionable; some interior materials could be a little higher quality, so-so gas mileage (20 city/25 hwy) but runs fine on 87 octane.
Build quality vy good so far- no rattles, no problems whatsoever at 7500 mi. Will it compare to a (I'm guessing) somewhat stiffer European ride?- don't know, but I like to drive aggressively on backroads (not as concerned about 0-60, I think the 6S is around 8 sec) and this car does the trick. Good luck with your decision!

Old 04-26-2005, 08:39 AM

compared to your last car, you may be a little short on power, but the mazda6 handles incredibly while still maintaining a comfortable ride, it has very predictive and controllable steering

Old 04-26-2005, 03:42 PM

Thanks toyrme and Fragile. Some useful thoughts there. I'll try and arrange a test drive ASAP and let you know how it turns out.[

Old 04-26-2005, 07:35 PM

I bought my 05 Mazda 6s 5-door, about amonth ago. The space was alsoa selling point for me. I ahve a 3.0L 5 speed. Considering I was driving a 4-banger previously, the v-6 is quite an upgrade. I do tend to agree that it does lag in between 1500-2500. I absolutely love the car though. I just recently moved, and the hatch back came in great use. I find the drivers seat very comfortable and the driving is exciting also. Minimal road noise. Good Luck!

Old 04-27-2005, 04:44 AM

Sadly the V6 isn't available here in the UK. Even if it was it would probably be beyond my price range. Bigger, less environmentally friendly engines are heavily taxed here - to the extent that I would even contemplate going for the 1.8petrol if it came in the higher spec. And, did you know that ptrol costs 3 times (yes - 3 times) as much in the UK as it does in the USA!!!

Old 04-27-2005, 03:11 PM

Old 04-28-2005, 09:08 PM

Yes, the roads in MA are beyond belief- it's a testimony to the toughness of the Mazda alloys; I've hit some bad potholes and still the wheels are perfect. Hope the engine and tranny prove that tough!

Old 05-28-2005, 02:11 PM

I finally got around to going for a test drive today and thought I'd better bring an update...

I liked the Mazda6 TS2 very much. Compared to my MG ZS180 the power was obviously less in the 2.0 version of the Mazda but certainly not lacking in power. When I wanted it, the acceleration was there. Road holding felt OK but rather more body roll on cornering and a lot less tight than I am used to with the MG. Road noise was somewhat louder than I expected but no worse than my MG. For luxury & electronic toys there was no contest with the Mazda winning hands down. The Mazda 6 also felt somewhat more roomy than the MG - probably because it is .

In summary - I liked the Mazda 6 enough to go for it. But it iisn't so fantastic that I won't miss my MG! But that is probably an unfair comparison. They are very different cars each with their own strengths. For a drive that in itself provides all the fun you need, the MG has the sports handling and roadholding along with the 2.5L V6 for performance. For build quality, luxury and a sensible family car that provides all round comfort with perfectly acceptable perfomance and handling the Mazda manages it.

I'm just looking at the optional accessories ( http://www.mazda.co.uk/sycomax/uploa...ies_Mazda6.pdf )and I think the rear spoiler is rather overpriced and unlikely to make any noticeable difference to handling/performance. I think the twin sports exhausts look good but I'm not sure if they are more decorative than functional. Any advice on that from anyone? Will the twin sports exhaust make any difference to power or sound or are they just for show?

Old 07-02-2005, 07:48 AM

Just another update ...

I have finally signed on the dotted line and gone for a Mazda 6 2.3 Sport Hatchback in Contrail Silver. I just need to wait until October for it now!

I'll let you know what I think when I've got it.

Quick Reply: Mazda 6 - should I?