Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Mazda 6 - should I?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 05:23 AM
Default RE: Mazda 6 - should I?

Well - the story started in Feb 05 and yesterday I took delivery of my Mazda6 Hatchback Sport in Silver Contrail. Here in the UK the 6 Sport is a 2.3litre, six gear version.

I am very happy but the most striking observation is about handling. I know the 6 has had rave reviews praising it as a 'drivers car' with regard to road holding, firm suspension and sporty ride feel. I have been driving an MG ZS180 for the past 3 years and by comparison the Mazda 6 seems to roll and loll about the road like a tranist van - or a boat on a slightly choppy sea. What I don't know is whether this suggests that the MG is especially good in this department (I do believe it was exceptional), whether the Mazda 6 reviews are wrong or whether there is something funny about the particular one I've got. Driving the MG was like wearing a very well fitted leather driving glove while driving the Mazda 6 feels like wearing a pair of snow mittens! I know it will take a while to get used to and run in the Mazda and to learn about its limits.

I doubt it would make any significant difference but when it is light enough I'll go out and check the tyre pressures. I know we should stick to recommended tyre pressures but I assume a slightly higher pressure would give a firmer ride while a lower pressure would stick it to the road better. Am I right?

It is a contract hire / lease car that I will have for 3 years and then hand back so I can't do anything to it in terms of mods but has anyone got any suggestions for any tweaking that would not upset the lease company?

Also, the drivers window switches for the back and passenger windows don't appear to work at all (the switches on the relevant doors do work and the window lock switch works). Is there a setting or switch I have missed or are there any suggestions about this before I go through the hassle of going back to the dealers?

Lastly - what colour is Silver Contrail? People have suggested they can see a hint of green or blue in the silver but I'm not sure if that is just reflections of adjacent cars. I'm colour blind so haven't got a clue.

Don't get me wrong I am very happy with my new car and getting another MG wasn't a choice open to me. But has anyone got any thoughts on this.

Old 10-16-2005, 10:45 AM

Here is a picture of old & new car side by side:

I couldn't upload to the forum because it kept on saying that the file was too big - even though it wasn't!

Old 10-18-2005, 06:02 PM

nice

Old 10-18-2005, 10:04 PM

you should also try out the other mazda models, so you can get a feel for what your looking for

Old 10-18-2005, 11:14 PM

Nice taste in cars jonjc. I don't think you will be disappointed with your decision on the 6.

Old 10-19-2005, 04:53 AM

5 days on and it is certainly growing on me .

I take the fact that I haven't managed to get the traction control to kick in as a sign that the stability and handling are so good, the traction control isn't needed so much (either that or it's broken!). So it is sticking to the road even if it doesn't feel quite so stuck down as my old MG.

I'm still overtaking and zipping around bends in all the same places with no significant increase in terror!

Old 10-19-2005, 08:57 AM

ins't the mg like half the size of the 6?

Old 10-19-2005, 01:17 PM

comparing the size of a MG to a mazda 6 is like comparing a fat donut eating cop to a marathon runner . It just is not right. And I am not talking Phat!

Old 10-19-2005, 03:16 PM

Not half the size. Both are family sized cars (here in the UK anyway). But the MG is smaller yes.

Length:
MGZS: 4540mm
Mazda6: 4680mm
14cm difference

Width:
MGZS: 1727mm
Mazda6: 1780mm
5.3cm difference

Height:
MGZS: 1386mm
Mazda6: 1435mm
4.9cm difference

Weight:
MGZS: 1235kg
Mazda6 2.3: 1425kg
190kg difference

The Mazda6 certainly feels a lot more roomy inside. From the outside it doesn't look vastly bigger.

Old 10-19-2005, 10:23 PM

ahh we have the facts! The MG is smaller. Wow. Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: Mazda 6 - should I?