Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Mazda6 Newbie - Transmission Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Default Mazda6 Newbie - Transmission Questions

My wife bought an '08 6. So far all I've done to it is one oil change. The tranny fluid is light brown. I have searched the forums and like most, there are a multitude of opinions. My questions:
  • Is there an off the shelf, suitable substitute for Mazda Trans Fluid? I've seen it is OK to use Mercon V and also not to use Mercon V.
  • Is there a trans filter inside the pan? I see a lot of reference to an in-line filter add on.
  • Any special tools to get the pan off? I seem to remember there being a part of the frame in the way of some of the bolts.
My plan is to drop the pan, clean the pan, change the filter if one exists, re-install the pan, add fluid, remove line that enters cooler (radiator), start car, allow remaining brown fluid to purge from the system while adding new fluid, stop engine when exiting fluid is red, top off with appropriate amount when "Hot".

Going to change the rear brake pads and rotors? Any special tools needed? Can I push the piston in with a C-Clamp or do I need the special tool like I've heard Fords use?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide. I want to service this tranny soon. 37k miles...I don't want it to burn up yet.

Rob

Old 09-04-2011, 11:00 PM

Double check what the dipstick says for fluid; it will be stamped on it. I've used Redline for a couple of years and am very happy with how the tranny acts/shifts when up to temp. (I also add LubeGard at fluid change)

If your car is the V6, there is no serviceable filter. You can do what many of us do and add an inline filter to the tranny cooler line. If it's a 4 cyl with the 5 spd, yes there is a filter.

N/A if it's the V6. Otherwise, no.

You'll never flush all the old fluid. A rather substantial amount will be in the convertor and you'd go broke -and die of old age- before cycling out the old fluid.

As for the brakes, I always recommend picking-up a hardware kit. You'll be pretty much guaranteed of having surface rust on the slide tabs, and at least somewhat dried-out boots. RockAuto.com has dirt cheap prices on hardware kits.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:03 AM

karlt10, thanks for the reply. My (her) car is the 2.3 I4 with 5-speed auto, so I'll pick up a filter. Where do you buy Redline Trans fluid? I haven't seen or heard of it. I'm going to get under the car today so I'll scope all my tasks out. I appreciate all the advice.

Rob

Old 09-05-2011, 07:56 PM

I guess I just assumed you were interested in synthetic.... having seen how well it works in 115 degree temps as well as -25, I'll never switch from synthetic.

I've been buying Redline through Amazon. It actually comes from Hoerr Racing Products, but the price is $1/qt cheaper through Amazon. Once you check what fluid your dipstick says to use, check Redline's site to see which of their formulas is correct. (mine is 'D4', but no idea if yours is)

I'd also highly recommend Mobil1 ATF. I used it in my previous Integra until I sold it at 198,000 miles. The only reason it's not in my Mazda is at the time I did my first change, Mobil did not have a Mobil1 synthetic for the 'T-IV' fluid my car uses. They have it now, but I'm already using Redline and will just stick with it. But anyway, if you check Mobil's site, and see which of their ATF fluids to use, you may very well find it at Walmart. I hate Wally World with a passion, but sad fact is they have excellent prices on oil, tranny fluid, and coolant....

Double-check RockAuto's price on your filter as well. The are EXTREMELY fast in getting orders out the door and you may save yourself a few $$, especially if the brake hardware kits come out of the same warehouse. (my last order was placed at 12:15 PM Tuesday - was shipped by 3 that same day - and was on my step that Friday)

Old 09-07-2011, 08:14 PM

Thanks again for the advice. The dipstick calls for MV fluid. I'll see if there is a suitable sub for that. I did the rear brakes on Monday. Pretty simple job.

Rob