Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Mazdaspeed 6?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Default Mazdaspeed 6?

I'm currently looking at purchasing an 06 Mazdaspeed 6 GT with 54,000 miles on it. It's a 1 owner car and I'll be test driving this evening.

In doing my homework I've found downsides to be an on-off clutch that takes a while to get used to (not worried) and gas mileage is shoddy for a 4-banger (to be expected with the turbo) but does anyone who's had one know what else I can expect?
I'm shooting for reliability and bringing maintenance costs down from what they were with my 01 Audi A4.
I also want to keep some of the features that I love about my A4 such as the AWD, leather seats and attractive styling. Ownership cost is the main reason I'm getting out of it... do you think this is a good car to do that or would I be better off with the Mazda6? I'd be lying if I said the 274hp didn't attract me to the MS6.

I also thought I'd mention I'm not too interested in modding the engine or anything else too much. Planning to keep it stock outside of some aesthetic changes.

I appreciate any feedback!

Last edited by virgin1; 10-07-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:58 PM

Turbos aren't known for their reliability. FWIW...You can get the same power without the turbo in an AWD Ford Fusion - 3.5L V6. (Same underpinnings as the 6 as well.)

My wife's 6 wagon gets around 22-24mpg, the 4 cyl gets around 30mpg (I drove quite a few of the develoment vehicles early on in the program.) It's been a very reliable car, I've done some repairs (plugs, a couple of coilpacks, etc.) but they've been relatively inexpensive fixes. (just through 94,000 miles - 2004)

Old 10-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Scott forgot to mention (but indicated) that his wife's car is an S model... V6.
As he mentions, the turbo could be a problem down the road. Also, do you know how this car was driven and maintained? Was it Auto-Xed or raced?

I haven't driven one myself. Many owners seem to be quite happy with theirs and they were a limited edition model which can also make them more desireable. They are a handsome looking car. imho.
According to what I have heard, seen or read, the MS6 is a nice car, but not necessarily the best in class. Coming from an older A4, you may very well be just as happy, or happier w/it as the A4 though. I'm sure it handles a little better than the A4 does.
Reliability? Well? It is a turbocharged 4-cyl car. It does have AWD and will not afford the best fuel mileage. That's a lot of moving parts to control and have go wrong for you. How much reliablity are you looking for?

Old 10-08-2009, 08:50 AM

sstlaure - I was actually looking at the Fusion when I bought the Audi. I drove an 05 Focus ZX4 ST before that and it was an ok car, but seemed cheaply made. I was aiming for something European when I bought the A4 and this time I was kind of shooting for a Japanese one just to get a feel for what I like best.

virgin1 - It sounds like the previous owner took good care of it. He put in a new clutch not long before trading it in for a new CC (vw dealership) and had an S4 before that. Graduated to family man status, lol. Not sure if it was Auto-Xed or raced, but if it was it was done stock (minus clutch). It drives like new and the gas mileage has been much better than the A4 - definitely faster. I'd say it seems like a good next step up, nothing crazy but it moves nice and the handling is excellent.

I felt good about the car after test driving and got the numbers exactly where I wanted them. Dealer was very easy to work with, straight forward and friendly. I bought an extended warranty that will take it up to 105k miles which saved me pricing one out with Mazda.

I realize the care that needs to go into a turbo car and plan on usually driving it easy. Most of the miles will be from highway/commuting and it actually feels easier to drive slow than the Audi. It should be reliable enough and the warranty's extensive so that gives me peace of mind. I feel like I achieved what I set out to do by getting out of the A4 financially, but we'll see how that pans out in ownership costs. Thanks for the quick feedback!

Last edited by crt ms6; 10-08-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:02 AM

Don't get me wrong....I really like the Mazdaspeed6. Congrats on your purchase. Enjoy. If they had made a Mazdaspeed version of my wife's wagon I would have traded into that in a second. But alas, no luck.

I work for Ford, so I can be a little biased from time to time.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Nahhhhh, Scott. YOU??? BIASED???
I'm just messin' wit cha', Dude.
Scott is one of our longest term members, even longer than me. I tried to promote him to Super Mod once, but due to the conflict of interest involved (e.g. a Ford employee)....

I agree. I like the MS6 also and would like to own, or at least drive one one day.
Overall, and based on your description of the car, its former owner and your feeling about it, that you made a very good choice, crt.
Congrats and happy... long, happy motoring in the 6.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:52 AM

Thanks guys! Lol, yes - long, happy motoring is what I'm aiming for.

So far I'm absolutely loving it. Ready to do led conversion, put HIDs in the fogs, and tint out the windows. I'll throw up pics when that's done.