Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Is it me, or is my 6 starting to show....

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 08:05 PM
Default Is it me, or is my 6 starting to show....

its age. I have a 2003 Mazda 6 with 95k km's, or 60k miles. Car has been excellent for a long time. However now its starting to show its age. Rattles everywhere, feels loose on the road over bumps. Vibrates when in drive at idle. Carpet has shrunk in areas with gaps appearing ( doors lower panel). Led display for radio etc missing diodes. Most of the rattles/looseness occurred after a drive along a very corrugated dirt road. First I tried to stay slow, but that meant no more than 5 mph, then I increased to 50 mph to try and just glide over the ripples. Anyway, I am kicking myself for taking the road. Just wanted to show the kids some of Australia's natural wonders. Its my fiancees car and I know that it has been hit in the back 3 times now. One was just bumper damage, other was minor hatch damage (tail light and bit of panel. The third was a rear ender. New Bumper, realign hatch, and underbody stretching. I know know when you close the hatch the rear deck doesnt line up correctly (big gaps) and that rattles. So I am coming to tthe conclusion that the last rear ender did the most damage. Or, do these things start to fall apart at around 55k miles.
Whats every one elses experience been like

Old 01-10-2010, 06:47 PM

Well it sounds to me like the car's life is the culprit for most. Being in 3 accidents, most of the body integrity has been comprimised. The car was built to handle road impacts and 1-2 accidents. Every time one occurs, some of that force is transferred to every part of the car, so it will be weaker. Another point of consideration is body shape. Being a unibody car, some of the accidents' force is transferred all over the body which can mildly misshape the metal. This wouldnt be enough to notice, but enough to make once tight fittings loosen up. This is why convertibles (older ones) sometimes have door/roof fit issues, because the body actually re-forms itself from impacts.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:08 AM

I read this site from time to time, but don't post. I have had the same issues with my '06 Mazda 6i. It's sounding like a bucket of bolts now and fit and finish issues that have warned me not to buy another one. I bought mine new and have had no accidents.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:40 AM

I've had mine for 4 years, and she has 81000miles on the clock. I am having none of the problems you describe. I have a few slight interior rattles here and there, but when you beat on a car like I do that is to be expected. Sorry you both have had such issues, though Wag, I'd say it sounds like yours are most likely due to the repeated impacts.

Last edited by CKeffer; 03-02-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:16 AM

'05 with 118k miles on the ticker. Only prob I have so far is that both axles need to be replaced. She has spent most of her life lowered, so I would expect it.

-Sheldon.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:42 PM

Just things I have noticed:

1. The air springs or Stabilus air shocks have failed and will not hold the rear hatch up anymore.

2. The tiny plastic buttons that are attached to the rear hatch that hold the 2 strings for the hatch cover are about to break. (I have fishing line holding it together)

3. The plastic body trim rivets (for lack of a better word) have started breaking loose due to expansion/contraction. The lower trim on each side of the vehicle is loose.

4. The lense covering the passenger side exit/entry light on the bottom of the door fell off at some point in the first year.

5. And the most serious problem is a nasty response to the cathodic reaction on the driver's side motor mount/battery mount/ chassis, etc. WTF? Extreme corrosion and rust on a '06? Dealer says natural. "Come on!" I say. My Tacoma is the same age and has no issues at all. Similar mileage and useage. Looks like mil coverage of paint under hood has a lot to be desired. Besides, I paid the same for the 6i as I did the Tacoma with a V6 and 4x4.

6. Front springs that sqeal and road noise when all windows are down is enough for me.

7. The underside plastic, engine bay cover is a joke. This thing is complete crap and the fastening system failed after about a year. It fell off and I ran over it.

By the way, I live in the south where the weather is moderate and keep up with scheduled maintenance. No accidents either.

Last edited by les paul; 03-01-2010 at 05:54 PM.