Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Meshing out my grille...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 05:13 AM
Default RE: Meshing out my grille...

How did it fall out? And yes can u take some pic so i can see them. I want to put a mesh grill as well because I have a silver mazda 6 and i think it would look better then the black. But who knows. Any opinions? I am getting 19" black glossy rims with a chrome lip and I dont know what would look better, black mesh or silver mesh. Let me know what you guys think. I also want to do the top grill if possible, and how much is it to but a sheet of mesh and how do you mount it? Thanks

Old 02-23-2006, 09:22 PM

I didn't have it attached in very well. basically there is wire routed through some of the cells in the mesh, then they were twisted tight around the plastic clips that are molded into the fascia. The force of the wind pushing in caused the wire to slip off of the plastic tabs. I'm going to drill small holes through the tabs to route the wire through and give a positive backstop to prevent this from happening again.

It's just too damn cold out to do it right now, so the mesh sits on my workbench in my garage....

Old 02-24-2006, 03:42 AM

How would you do it on a mazda 6 without the fascia front? lol

Old 02-24-2006, 11:13 AM

You should be able to pop out the stock plastic mesh piece just as I did. I believe the Mazda6 has the same molded type of clips in the fascia. Drilling small holes through the center of the clips to route the wire through will prevent them from being pushed off of the clips.

I have no idea how you would put the mesh into the upper grille. The hardest part is shaping the material to round the corners back. (You don't want to be able to see the raw edge of the mesh.

I think the piece of mesh I bought was from APC (personally I don't like the brand, but as it was just a piece of raw material, I didn't care.) I bought it at my local Autozone store. I think it was $35-40 for the mesh and I used some rubber u-channel (weatherstrip) to go around the outer edges to create a bezel to isolate the mesh from the paint.

I attached some pics of the clips in my front fascia.

Also, the foglight panels may have a wire harness run to them. (It's there to make wiring up the factory foglights a breeze.) I sealed up the ends of the harness and zip-tied them out of the way.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2513/0319AE7B45F448EE8E30C3643A5D6CA8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2513/A5E57D7719F7440D87DB9A9513E22D74.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-24-2006, 11:09 PM

ORIGINAL: the_gray_mazda6

Well i've decided that I am going to mesh out my lower bumper grill with a 1/4" stainless steel mesh. I've gone with this size because it is not too small but not too large either. It will give it a nice little sporty look which will also lighten up the color of my car a bit.

Let me know what ya'll think about this... and I'm thinking about doing this over my spring break which is in a few weeks. But thought i'd fill you in now on my plans for the near future. I'm not buying a kit... i'm buying a big slap of mesh and cutting it myself... costs less to do that and its just something for me to do when i'm bored. (good temporary hobby)!

[IMG]local://upfiles/1541/318DD7DB533847D89635B44E54AF382E.jpg[/IMG]

I think you're making the right decision in picking the 1/4" mesh. The 5/8" always looks like chicken wire to me and (no offense to anyone else here that has this done) the 3/16" just looks gaudy and cheap. I'm one for clean lines...not for standing out in the crowd. Which other people's tastes vary. Make sure you take pics when you're done! I'd like to see the end result.

Old 02-25-2006, 07:32 AM

i meshed my top grill out today. I like it. It has a grayish color to it blending in with my silver car. I just put the mesh right over the original grill. I took off the mazda symbol and put it over it to help hod it and i took off the crome part to help hold it as well.used a silcone glue to hold the bottom of it. Now i just need to do the bottom.

Old 02-27-2006, 02:51 PM

I would like to see a picture of that if you have one mike... that would be really nice to see.

I'm still waiting for my mesh to arrive at my house, shouldnt' be too long hopefully!

Old 02-27-2006, 04:47 PM

yeah I will attach some pic later on today.

Old 03-12-2006, 12:07 PM

just finished my mesh grille this morning. it's looking really nice! [sm=icon_cheers.gif] i'll get some pictures of it when i put it back on my vehicle. maybe tomorrow... i have my bumper sitting in the garage drying (giving it that 24 hour drying period before i move it around).

hey michael, you ever get a picture of your grille yet?

Old 03-16-2006, 12:05 AM

here's some pictures of my bumper without the mesh in it...

I'll get some pictures of my meshed out grille once I get some time to do so.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1541/1EE29C01594F46E98C4A3D01152DAF0E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1541/95101C847C634C97BB0BE2409024785E.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Meshing out my grille...