Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

My Mazda6S sport has an engine problem at 55K MILES!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by opium7980
My Mazda6 is currently at its 55,000 miles mark. I bought it at a certified dealership when it was at its 20,000 miles mark. I have serviced it regularly at a Mazda dealership regularly and had no issues with it until an engine check light came up last month. I took it back to the Mazda dealership service and they diagnosed it to be a converter issue and as they did not have stock they ordered it and told me it was fine to drive around until then. It took two weeks for the part to arrive and in the mean time my car started to make some rattling sounds and wasnt running as smoothly. I took it back to the dealership and they fixed the part but they had no clue regarding the sound of my car. They told me to drive around and see if it goes away. On my return from the dealership the car stopped at a traffic signal, the sound became worse and the check engine light turned ON. Now they think it is an engine failure and nobody knows why??? Now it is costing me $7,000 .....I did not have an extended warranty on the car. I am screwed. I called Mazda and they offer a mere $2500 assistanship....Does anyone have any comments on this. I would appreciate if you can advise me regarding what I should be doing regarding the car, getting more help/assistanship etc.

Thanks,
OP

if they knew you had a cat issue and told you to drive it. then they should be paying for everything.

and there is nothing wrong with the V6.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by nyinthabuilding05
if they knew you had a cat issue and told you to drive it. then they should be paying for everything.

and there is nothing wrong with the V6.
Hmmm, nothing wrong with the V6 except for the fact that there seems to be a much-much higher incidence of premature failure being reported (versus the 4-Cylinder models) on virtually Mazda centric forum one cares to visit.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Hmmm, nothing wrong with the V6 except for the fact that there seems to be a much-much higher incidence of premature failure being reported (versus the 4-Cylinder models) on virtually Mazda centric forum one cares to visit.
Seems to be is the key word there. Half the failures that were actually put out into the public were due to owner abuse. The other half were due to precat failure which has nothing to do with the actual engine in question.

And some part of those "failures" were misdiagnosed to begin with. And another part of those you don't even know what the real cause was because the whole story is not always told. IE- the owner running the car low on oil...or running the car past the recommended OCI. Another part of those were people running the car and ignoring symptoms of other things that could've been fixed but weren't.

I could go on and on. Fact of the matter is nowadays shops get paid to just replace stuff rather than troubleshoot. Meaning I have seen shop say a motor was fubar because of a lifter tick caused by a sticking hydraulic lifter which is a cheap part to replace. Anyway...my statement stands. There is nothing wrong with the V6. The same amount of failures can be found on the I4. Whether its posted about or not is another story.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by nyinthabuilding05
Seems to be is the key word there. Half the failures that were actually put out into the public were due to owner abuse. The other half were due to precat failure which has nothing to do with the actual engine in question.

And some part of those "failures" were misdiagnosed to begin with. And another part of those you don't even know what the real cause was because the whole story is not always told. IE- the owner running the car low on oil...or running the car past the recommended OCI. Another part of those were people running the car and ignoring symptoms of other things that could've been fixed but weren't.

I could go on and on. Fact of the matter is nowadays shops get paid to just replace stuff rather than troubleshoot. Meaning I have seen shop say a motor was fubar because of a lifter tick caused by a sticking hydraulic lifter which is a cheap part to replace. Anyway...my statement stands. There is nothing wrong with the V6. The same amount of failures can be found on the I4. Whether its posted about or not is another story.
While all of the owner/shop related failure modes that you wrote about may well be factors, they should be no different for either engine. The fact that I routinely hear about V6 failures on every Mazda forum I visit and cannot even remember the last time I heard about a failure of the I4 implies there is more going on than just owner and/or shop diagnosis short comings. As you said, my statement stands; the V6s have a much higher failure rate than the I4.

Last edited by shipo; 03-04-2011 at 05:32 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:42 AM
Default Up date

After three weeks - I got Mazda and the dealership to agree to replace the engine for $3,300 with a year parts and labor. Working with Mazda's call center was a joke. Their customer service is awful. The dealership took ownership and pressed Mazda, which was good. I definitely won't own a Mazda again - not sure about Ford (I think Ford builds the engines in Mexico).

Old 03-04-2011, 07:43 AM

BTW Mazda 2004

Old 03-04-2011, 08:26 AM

The 3.0L is used in the 6, taurus, escape, fusion, jaguar,milan, and etc

The 2.3L is used in the 6, 3, focus, ranger, and etc

So any issues would be apparent in all those vehicles as well. Both motors have a pretty much identical failure rate of about 1-2% of the total cars they go in. So in reality there really isn't a bad motor speaking of the 2.3L and the 3.0L

**** if you think our motors are so bad I hope your don't think a nissan or honda V6 will be any better. They have about the same failure rates as any other motor.

Hell I know numerous people with over 200K worth of mileage on the original 3.0L that came in their car. But hey. A few people have a failure here and there thruout 15 years of usage with over 30000 units of the 3.0L in cars all over the place. It then becomes a placebo effect and everyone thinks its the greater majority. Lol...hell not even half the units of 3.0L owners sold are even on the internet.

But hey it is what it is. I just know I have seen just as many 2.3L failures as the 3.0L. That didn't happen due to negligence or abuse.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:48 AM

The 3.0 is the same block as in the Taurus, but the transmission and exhaust are not the same. The fact that Mazda had an engineering failure here and doesn't own up to it is inexcusable. Whether or not that it is precat failure causing the engine problems isn't relevant. The fact is these engines fail in Mazda 6's at a much higher rate than in the Taurus. Your 1-2% rate, if it is even correct, includes the other vehicles, not just the Mazda 6.
Also, the 2.3 liter in the 6 is a Mazda engine, not a Ford engine.

Mazda's customer service is horrendous. Congrats on getting them to pony up something. The dealer offered to "help me" by only charging me $6500 for a new (reman) engine, with no mention of the need for new precats, whcih they obviuosly knew were going to be part of the needed repairs.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:59 AM

Simple fix.....spend 800 dollars on headers or get rid f the car with the "horrible" engine and leave the manufacturer with the "horrible" customer service.

All warranty work is like that. They don't make money on it. Soo they try and deny it wherever possible. Every regular manufacturer is like that...IE..gm, ford, nissan, hondas and the list goes on.

Taurus has seen failures as well every other make and model of car with any engine. Get over it. If oyu don't like the chance of failure ...ride a bicycle.

Cats fail at anytime due to the design of the product. That is any cat. Not just a mazda 6 cat.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:05 AM

Engines are mechanical....they can fail at any time no matter how well they are built. Lol...porches and lambos have engine failures too, lol. I guess its bad engineering with them to. The veryon had issues. I guess that's bad engineering. lol.

Don't take these posts as me not being sympathetic for anyone that had a failure. Because I truly am. But I'm just one of those people that realize with any engine there is always a chance of failure regardless of who makes it. And don't get into the whole..."oh its a **** car or engine kick"

You want to drive..you take the chance. Simple as that. Deal with it as a car owner. I have seen the qoute unqoute "most reliable car maker in history" cars fail. I'm talking bout honda. See them fail and seen them last 200K+. Just as any other car

Quick Reply: My Mazda6S sport has an engine problem at 55K MILES!