Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

New Mazda6 owner (2006)-questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Default New Mazda6 owner (2006)-questions

New to Mazda and the 6 (although i've driven many Mazdas before).

Picked up a 2006 with 47k miles on it after my 2006 volvo s60 got totaled when someone ran a red light and t-boned me.

3 things i am noticing about the car and could use some general feedback.

1. My driver's seat has just started creaking from the springs. Is this common? I've never had this problem with any car before.

2. I have had little experience with automatic transmissions. Most of my cars have been stick. On occasion, when im cruising along in say, 3rd of 4th gear, and i step on the gas hard, the trans feels like its hunting or not sure what gear to move to and sort of bangs into 5th and then carries on normally. This isn't an everyday thing but i'm not sure how much is normal and if i have a problem growing.

3. Sometimes when i am at a light or stopped and step on the gas, there is a lag before the engine kicks in like maybe a brief fuel deprivation. What would you check first? The car is a v6 and i would expect it to just jump off the line or at least accellerate smoothly from a start.

Thanks for the feedback in advance.

The car handles well and is fun to drive.

Stevo

Old 05-05-2010, 01:40 PM

1. This is the first I've heard of something like this, but easiest thing to do would be to check the bolts that hold the seat down, possibly one has backed off a little.

2. I'd check the transmission fluid if I were you.

3. Unfortunately this is normal, though you can reduce the throttle lag by adding an Electronic Throttle Controller and using it set in the sport mode (around SP4 or 5 seems to work best for me).

Old 05-06-2010, 08:23 PM

Thanks for responding.

The creaking is from the seat back, like if you were to rock back and forth, it would squeak/creak. Definitely not from the seat bolts.

I had checked the fluid in the trans and it was not low, nor burnt.

Any thoughts why this car/engine has that lag when stepping on the gas? Is there no fix? I'm not looking to drag race but it is a little disconcerting when you want to get out of someone's way and you step on the gas and it hesitates.
Thanks!