Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Problem With Starting... Weird...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Default Problem With Starting... Weird...

About 6 months ago my tranny was serviced at a transmission shop. The transmission was fix, but two days later when I was leaving work the car would not start. Battery was fine, even tried jumping it. No cranking, no solenoid click, only sound it made was the relays clicking. Alll lights stay lit, and don't dim at all. Car was towed to mazda, and "fixed." They said the connector to the starter was broken and had been replaced. They did not charge for the park, only the diagnostic fee, I think is was $60.

Now, 6 months later the same problem happened. Car was towed from work again (Is that place cursed? I should stop going!) with the same thing. This time it was brought to a Ford Dealer that was much closer. They said they could not figure out the problem, then pushed it into the garage. Once in the garage it started fine. They checked the starter, relays, battery, battery connections, starter connections, and everything they could think of. No problems. Nothing loose.

Anyone have this problem? I am worried about getting stuck somewhere.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:09 PM

What kind of 'service' did you have done to your transmission? Was it pulled? Worst case scenario -- the shop could have broken some teeth on your flywheel ring gear. Does your starter motor spin when you try to start the car? If it spins and doesn't engage the flywheel, then you could have missing ring gear teeth or a Bendix problem with your starter. You need to check your voltage at the starter motor main terminal when attempting to start. There could be a problem with your park/neutral/clutch/brake switch (don't know if tranny is manual or auto) not allowing starter to be engaged. If you have low voltage at the starter motor terminal when trying to start, then it could be bad contacts in the control relay (solenoid), or even an alignment problem causing binding. Also could be inadequate grounding of your engine block or degraded starter wire/corroded connection.

I had a similar problem once on an old VW Jetta. It would start fine when cold, but if I drove it several miles then I knew it wouldn't start again until it had time to cool down. The starter motor was just old, worn and weak. I finally got around to replacing it. Your starter problem could be coincidental with your transmission service -- but I would be suspicious if it started immediately after the tranny service.