Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Rear Driver wheel rubs

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 08:32 PM
Default Rear Driver wheel rubs

Last year I had my factory wheels replaced by a tire company w aftermarket, for free, cause they ruined all of my origionals. I noticed soon after that they rubbed in the rear everytime I hit a big bump, or had a big load in the trunk. I thought the wheels didnt have the right spacing for my car, then after further investigating today I realize it was only one wheel that actually rubbed. The driver side rear wheel seems to tilt out at the top about 3/8 an inch more than the passenger. I have no Idea why this is...We have never hit anything, or smacked a curb while powersliding( I love to play in the snow) I removed the wheel today to see if theres any kind of adjustments, or looked to see if the suspension had any damage. I looked on this forum for similiar problems, and found Mazda cars dont have any rear camber adjustments. I drive a 2005 Mazda 6 Sport. It just rolled over 70K and this car is well kept. I have never even washed it with a rag.any ideas for a remedy? Or what to look for in the suspension that could be the culprit? My tire has many slices around the edge, and rubbed really bad when I took a long turn to get on the interstate. I did take a mallet and bang the wheel well up a little, and out as much as I could without damaging the car. I just cant see why this is, dont know if the fender is in, or top of wheel is out. my tire wear is even, so this is so confusing, there are no red flags......

Old 07-19-2010, 03:15 AM
Super Moderator

Well I think you are correct about the off-set of the AM tires. The first gen 6 series used a +60mm offset, almost impossible from the AM. If the new wheels aren't at least a +50mm, you are liable to have some rubbing.

As for the other problem, from the factory, most cars I am aware of do not have a rear camber adjustment... including your 6. There are a few on here, Mazmart Trini among them, that might have better insight just how to deal with this.
The Mazda3 guys have to replace the upper control arm/link to dial out too much negative camber. Here's what one aftermarket set looks like (Mine, of course):

Name:  IMG_0596W.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  81.4 KB

That said, it's possible that you have some worn bushings or that the rear body panels are not completely consistent side-to-side from the factory. Depending on exactly what the problem(s) turn out to be will also determine how to handle the issue, but I would start first w/those wheels. What brand, model, size and offset are they?

Last edited by virgin1; 07-19-2010 at 03:23 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:43 PM

Actually our rears do have camber adjustment, it's our fronts that do not. This said, the easiest solution to this problem is simply to roll the rear fenders. I'll try to find a picture of the piece that allows camber adjustment in the rear as it's not readily evident that's what it does.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:57 AM

its only one tire that rubs, I placed a 4 foot level to the bottom of tire, and to the outside of fenderwell, and there is a quarter to 3/8 inch difference in the spacing from driver/passenger side, and the tire only rubbed where the rear bumper and side of well attached. I took a rubber mallet and knocked the inside edge up a bit, and out....my garage floor isnt level so Im now ture if the tires out or not...I wouldnt be suprised if the actual fenderwell is the culprit...tho I am well impressed on how the car was built, every seam line was perfect. When I bought the car, the salesman was tryin to tell me all the crap the car had...I just pointed at my wife, said to talk to her, cause I already was sold....I mean I havent seen a car that came with a factory strut bar. We are planning on buying a new mazda soon and I plan on tricking this car out.I want her dropped an inch or so, some pearl white flames(my car color is Blazin copper metallic) Turbo, and spoiler(it has none, I think its good lookin wo, but cmon, shell look better with) anyways, I wont lower it if the wheels will rub. How much were the aftermarket adjustable upper cntrl/links? did they come w new bushings, and Im curious where the adjustments are on the factory suspension, I looked it over with the wheel off and saw none but the toe adjustment. I saw where the link attached to the rear spindle and it wasnt centered in where it attaches. It does appear that the wheel tilts out at the top a little, but like I said before, theres no uneven tire wear. We also had a trunk full of stuff and five people in the car. It rubbed every bump, and the onramp onto the interstate, it rubbed the whole time. I was wondering if the rear shocks were wearing out..shes a lil soggy in the rear., but not too much. I really appreciate the time you all.... I know when my factory ones were ruined(ill say scratched to hell), they ordered the ones for my car....not the correct lug spacing, the ones for the car. They might have been wrong.They are Driftz...spacing is +40(they let me keep my factory, I plan to repowdercoat them in a dark grey in the future)10 spokeblack/chrome...thanks everyone

Last edited by gangrene; 07-21-2010 at 11:00 AM.