Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Scraped a wheel rim. What do you do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 12:16 AM
Default Scraped a wheel rim. What do you do?

I hit a huge pothole and scraped up one of my wheel rims [sm=smiley11.gif]. I'm sure this has (unfortunately) happened to others. What's your step by step method to 'fix' up the rim? Also, what is the standard wheel paint color Mazda uses on the 6 (2005)? Thanks for your help!

Old 07-07-2006, 01:12 AM
Default RE: Scraped a wheel rim. What do you do?

hey, i have a few scrathes where the paint came off, so i am in the same situation...not sure how it happened though, just noticed it..

Old 07-07-2006, 02:52 AM

I'd say if you did a small scratch, pickup some sunlight silver touch up paint from Mazda (if not a complete match it'd be better than it was) then clean the are REALLY well and touch it up a bit. If it's big/deep or multiple scratches side-by-side covering a large area you can try and use the prevoius method or sand it and have mazda or another paintshopw respray the wheel (there would be slight blemeshis/reflection issues with the sanded wheel but cheaper than getting a whole new wheel). If you scratches the bead-meeting-area (the "lip" of the wheel where it meets the beaded edge of the rubber on the tire) you can sand that and respray. If the edge of the bead-meeting-area is jagged, you can sand and respray or, for safety and visually pleasing reasons, replace the wheel.

Old 07-07-2006, 02:24 PM

I love my baby, my rims are scratched up and I just left them...You will get more and more...Cant really help it, especailly in the NE after winter...

Old 07-07-2006, 03:59 PM

I said a lot of 4 letter words is what I did. Each time it happened.

Old 07-08-2006, 12:07 AM

I just got my first scratch on my rim when I was taking the tires off the car. 4 small but deep ones, I filled it in with some black paint since my rims are black. I also said a lot of 4 letter words [:@]

Old 07-08-2006, 12:32 AM

Sounds like this has been a painful experience for others too. Since the rims sit 'lower' than many cars, we get some dings that other cars don't. I can run over a curb with my SUV without any problem....but my 6, well, you know what happens. In parking lots, I find myself noticing whether or not other Mazdas have 'clean' wheels or not. If you are reading this, hope yours are still in good shape.

I'll try to sand and touch up to see if it helps.

Old 07-08-2006, 12:45 AM

I had the same problem. Tried to give myself extra room from the car next to me and gouged a wheel on a curm. Detroit Wheel (in Detroit) can repair and refinish a deep gouge so you'd never know it was blemished. Takes a couple of days, so you'd need a temp rim. If yer not near Detroit, you should be able to take it to any dealer and have them send it out for refinishing/repair, although they might tack on a fee.

Hope it helps.

Keith

Old 07-09-2006, 11:12 PM

Thanks flyk...

Old 07-10-2006, 12:23 AM

ORIGINAL: matchboxcarz

Sounds like this has been a painful experience for others too. Since the rims sit 'lower' than many cars, we get some dings that other cars don't. ............................ In parking lots, I find myself noticing whether or not other Mazdas have 'clean' wheels or not.
what? Are you talking about sidewalls?