Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Short engine life

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 08:14 AM
Default Short engine life

A couple of weeks ago my 2004 w/ 3.0 V6 broke down without warning and with no previous issues other that replacing a coil about 10k prior. At 81,000 miles I am now looking at replacing the engine. the car was impeccably maintined, with oil changes at much shorter intervals than Mazda recommend.
I have seen numerous posts on this same issue, and got the same dog and pony show from Mazda, who said they'd have an inspectior check it out. Turns out they refused to offer any assistance, and the inspector never actually looked at the vehicle, my service records, or the letter I left at the dealership explaing the problem and how I wanted it resolved.

If you have had a similar problem, please contact me directly:
ahandel (at) comcast.net

Why ANYONE would by a Mazda at this point is beyond me. I see a pattern of poor customer service, and a complete unwillingness to address widespread service issues.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:10 AM

What did the post-mortem on the engine reveal?

Old 01-12-2010, 11:19 AM

Dealer did not take it apart, but found metal in the oil. Wanted to charge me "hundreds" for diagnosis. Suspect rod or camshaft problem. Had no temp, oil loss, check engine light, etc problems before the breakdown. Car was never red-lined, and no mods.
I gave Mazda North America until Friday to respond to my demand letter
(MA GL. Ch 93), otherwise I have a guy who will look at it and likely put in a used engine and I will proceed to court.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by AHan
Dealer did not take it apart, but found metal in the oil. Wanted to charge me "hundreds" for diagnosis. Suspect rod or camshaft problem. Had no temp, oil loss, check engine light, etc problems before the breakdown. Car was never red-lined, and no mods.
I gave Mazda North America until Friday to respond to my demand letter
(MA GL. Ch 93), otherwise I have a guy who will look at it and likely put in a used engine and I will proceed to court.
Metal in the oil? I dare say that every engine I've ever taken apart has at least some metal sitting in the bottom of the pan, nature of the beast. What were the symptoms when the engine failed?

Old 01-12-2010, 11:49 AM

Died while stopped in traffic. Couldn't start, felt like dead battery. Started half hour later, but running very rough, and would not keep running w/o foot on gas. Some lack of power too, but no CEL or oil light. Drove 2-3 miles home. Towed to mechanic, diagnosed bad battery (no surprise), and said running very rough felt engine may be bad or about to go.
Next day, running rough, clearly burning oil, CEL finally came on, car stalled out. Towed to Mazda.
It was only 1200 miles since last oil change, with no history of burning or using oil, Mobil 1, 5k change intervals, although used to used conventional and 3k intervals.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:34 PM

Prob a spun Main Bearing or something.

-Sheldon.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:57 PM

Yeah, pretty much what I figured.
You know, I checked my owner's manual, and there's no suggested interval for replacing the engine. Belts, yes, plugs, yes, whole freakin' engine, no.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:43 PM

lol, don't think that will be in there.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:54 AM

I own an 03 w/ 3.0. I have 86,000 miles on it and the engine runs great for me. You must have had a bad egg. Sorry man...

Old 02-03-2010, 07:03 AM

I've heard back from a couple of people with the same problem.
My new block should arrive next week, will change water pump and starter while i'm at it, total bil, $5000, assuming I don't need new cats.

Quick Reply: Short engine life