Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Steering wheel jammed while driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 05:54 AM
Default Steering wheel jammed while driving

Hello to everybody!
First of all I'm going to talk about a Mazda 6 GH 2008, EU version, 2.0D, 140HP.
A few months ago, my oil blown into the exterior cavity of the engine, (dirtying everything, from metal to plastic,etc.)due to bad oil cap placement, I guess. After happening this, I experienced jamming my steering wheel while driving for about 10 seconds and all the dashboard lights going on and off, as well as the radio and the xenon lights flashing. After I've got the engine cleaned up at the car wash, the problem almost disappeared, but there are still moments when the dashboard lights, radio and headlights flash, and the steering wheel gets jammed, but for short periods as 3-4 seconds. Sometimes, in order to unjam the steering wheel, I had to turn ignition off and restart the engine, hearing some sounds and dashboard flashing again. I've connected the car through OBD to a Delphi tester and it says it's all OK, but it's not sometimes.
I've also seen that this problem was present on some of the RX-8, if I'm correct and they were saying this: " The issue everyone is having is due to over heating of the power steering fluid. The EPS (electronic power steering) light will give you a code of c1099. They will replace your EPS hoses, and upper portion of the EPS motor, as well as flush out the entire system with new fluid."
I'm guessing that either is the EPS (or bad contacts, hoses, wiring due to the oil blown) or the steering column and the contact car key.
I desperately want to fix this issue, if somebody is aware of solutions, please help, but I'm from Romania, Europe. I went to Mazda dealers in my country and they are total idiots. Thank you in advance !