Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Thinking about...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 07:27 PM
Default Thinking about...

buying a 2010 Mazda 6.

My wife was laid off when the GM plant laid off the second shift. She did not work for Gm but for one of the suppliers. The union/Federal Gov paid for her "retraining school" which she has now completed. She is looking for a job now with several interviews this week. She will be buying a car for herself when she feels secure in her job. With all that being said...

We have been looking at cars for the last 3 - 4 months and without doubt she is most excited about the Mazda 6. I must say that it is a lot of car for the money. She is looking at the I Grand Touring trim package. Me, being me, looked at Consumer Reports and saw that the Mazda 6 is not "recommended". I think this is because it is recently redesigned.

I am looking for unbiased opions (maybe I should not ask in a Mazda forum) on the Mazda 6.

Any input will be appreciated.

Sam Wise

Old 08-31-2009, 09:36 PM

While I can't advise you one way or the other with the new Mazdas (I have an earlier 2005 Mazda 6), I do wish to caution you about spending a serious amount of money before you both feel settles in your job situations. Forgo the purchase until that happens - the car can wait, your piece of mind cannot.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:13 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by samwise2u
buying a 2010 Mazda 6.

My wife was laid off when the GM plant laid off the second shift. She did not work for Gm but for one of the suppliers. The union/Federal Gov paid for her "retraining school" which she has now completed. She is looking for a job now with several interviews this week. She will be buying a car for herself when she feels secure in her job. With all that being said...

We have been looking at cars for the last 3 - 4 months and without doubt she is most excited about the Mazda 6. I must say that it is a lot of car for the money. She is looking at the I Grand Touring trim package. Me, being me, looked at Consumer Reports and saw that the Mazda 6 is not "recommended". I think this is because it is recently redesigned.

I am looking for unbiased opions (maybe I should not ask in a Mazda forum) on the Mazda 6.

Any input will be appreciated.

Sam Wise
Go with the 09. Better looking!!!!!!!

Old 08-31-2009, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by vlstellato
Go with the 09. Better looking!!!!!!!
I didn't think they changed anything design wise for 2010. Certain features and trims have changed however, so you might want to check into that before buying a 2010. The 2009 has better incentives right now as well, so take that into consideration. I don't think you can get a 6spd in the GT model for 2010, if your looking for manual. I have a 2009 6 I Sport, and really like it. I can only imagine how much nicer it would be with all the features of the GT. Consumer reports had not gathered sufficient reliability data for their latest car issue on the 2G 6, which I believe comes out in April, so this is why they can't recommend it. Their next car issue should have some 2009 data. There are an abundance of consumer reviews on Edmunds.com however. Good luck.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:56 PM

Get an '09. There are still some left on the lots and you can check inventory at mazdausa.com. There are still some good rebates on them. I got my 2009 i Grand Touring w/ moonroof/BOSE for $23,158 + tax on June 30.

As for the reliability ... past model years have been rated average or above average. The issues in the past have largely been related to the surrounding parts failing and Mazda claims to have remedied this with the 2009 model. We won't know for sure for another few years at least. When I took it for inspection, my mechanic said "those cars are sure made well." It may not mean much, but it's better than having him say "why'd you buy this piece of s**t?"

Granted it's no Accord (in terms of reliability) but it costs a lot less and is a hell of a lot more fun to drive. The Camry hasn't been recommended for the last couple years either by most consumer mags.

Finally, some comments for you on my experience with the 6 i GT. The car handles very well for it's size. There is some room for improvement if you want it to corner better at high speeds. The interior is great though the leather seats need more padding for those of us who don't have our own built-in padding. I am getting 27 MPG average with about 4600 miles on the car.

The tires that come stock (Michelins) are crap in terms of grip - but Michelins always are. I cna chirp them without any effort whatsoever. They are a hard tire designed for good treadwear, not handling. There are some little odds and ends such as the doors not auto-locking when you shift into drive and not auto-unlocking when you pull the interior handle. I would highly recommend picking up the splash guards as the car kicks up a lot of rocks towards the body due to its design. You can get them online from Cardinale Way Mazda for 20% off MSRP.

Overall, we love the car and would definitely recommend it.

I am not going to give you any financial advice. You know your situation better than any of us here could.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:53 AM

Guys, the 09 is the same as the 2010. The first body style was made from 03-08.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:45 PM

Thanks all - for the replies and the advice.

We are looking to buy in the next 3 - 6 months. My wife got a job today! ippee! She has already saved up about $2,500 and wants to save more during the coming months for a down payment. I pay all the bills. The only thing she needs to pay is for her car and clothes and what nots.

Never can tell what she will have her heart set on in 3 - 6 months, but I think if she does decide on the Mazda 6 she will be getting an above average vehicle. Only time will tell.

Thanks again.

Sam

Old 09-02-2009, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by samwise2u
Thanks all - for the replies and the advice.

We are looking to buy in the next 3 - 6 months. My wife got a job today! ippee! She has already saved up about $2,500 and wants to save more during the coming months for a down payment. I pay all the bills. The only thing she needs to pay is for her car and clothes and what nots.

Never can tell what she will have her heart set on in 3 - 6 months, but I think if she does decide on the Mazda 6 she will be getting an above average vehicle. Only time will tell.

Thanks again.

Sam
Congratulations to her on the new job. That will definitely make things a little easier for the household. I hope the 2G 6 proves to be above average since I bought one. I usually don't buy a first year design, but in the 6's case I couldn't resist, especially with the great incentives offered.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:27 PM

I bought my wife the 09 Touring as we're not fans of leather at all. Most of the other features are there. Car drives great and seems well made. (built in Flat Rock, MI at the Ford Assembly Plant.) Much common parts and components with the Ford Fusion (not built in the USA) We have the 4 cyl auto and it does an excellent job. We frequently have four people and I never feel underpowered or unable to stay ahead of traffic. Only had one glitch with the computer refusing to let anything power up after dealer installed the Homelink mirror kit. Factory sent one of their engineers in and he reset the whole shoot'n match and it's been fine since. (Service Mgr. at dealer sorta mumblin' that it was likely their fault, didn't disconnect the neg. battery lead like instructions said).

The keyless system, (push button start/stop) can trip you up. I'm used to grabbing the keys and locking the car on the run. Once in heavy rain I got out and pushed the lock on the doors and made a run for the restaurant. Had the keys in my pocket. Came back a little later and the car was still running. You have to remember to push the button to shut down, haveing the key doesn't mean it's turned off.

Attached Thumbnails Thinking about...-mazda-6-001.jpg  
Old 09-07-2009, 04:07 PM
k

I like 09 mazda6s so much. If mpg is not an issue, I would recommend you buy v6 than 4 cy. The engine is also available on Lincoln MKS. Buying mazda 6 sport is better than Hyundai Genesis v6. Both cars earned 5 stars crash test on every categories.