Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Weird Tire Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 02:51 PM
Default Weird Tire Issue

My Mazda 6 has the standard 17" tires that came with it, haven't had time to switch'em out yet, weird thing is that all 4 tired do not hold pressure above 28psi. I can pump them up to 32 psi but in about 3 days all 4 deflate to 28psi.

I was wondering if anyone elase experienced this and if so what do yoy guys do.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:18 PM
Default RE: Weird Tire Issue

Tires can differ in pressure due to tire temperature. I assume the 28 psi is read before you drive your car, and the 32 psi requires you to drive a little ways to the gas station (unless you have a compressor)

They should hold air just fine. If you have a kids pool available, you can take a tire off and place it in the pool...If you see bubbles then it's leaking.

Old 10-30-2006, 05:15 PM

No, I do not have a pump and 28 psi is the cold measurement. The weird thing is that the tires do not deflate past 28 psi..all 4.

I can pump them up to 32 which is the recomended but they just deflate right back to 28 in a few days.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:00 PM

Try pumping them up to 36 and see if they "deflate" to 32 psi.

If they don't keep dropping, then you don't have a leak. I think you're seeing the difference between hot/cold measurements.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:37 AM

I agree, 4 tires leaking at the same time and at the same rate is very strange. Are these new tires? and what brand? I hope you use your own pressure gauge all the the time since the ones at the gas stations are mostly not accurate. Good Luck.

Old 10-31-2006, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the input everyone, these are brand new michelin tires that came with the car, the car is brand new and actually tire pressure was 28psi when I picked it up..I though they just didn't puimp them up enough. And yes I'm using my own presure gage.

I tried pumping them up to 35 psi before just cause it worked out that way, the ride was rough for a few days but sure enough went back to 28 after a few days.

Should I try to have the dealer replace tires and rims???

Old 10-31-2006, 02:14 PM

Check your tires before you drive it. Record the pressure (I assume that's the 28 psi), then drive the car around for awhile, maybe 20 minutes or so, maybe go on the highway for a short stint, pull into a parking lot and check them again. As the tire temperature increases. so should the internal pressure of the tire.

I've never heard of a tire leaking to a certain pressure, then stabilizing. Especially all 4 tires on a single vehicle.

Old 10-31-2006, 10:25 PM

Right, a leaking tire will keep on leaking. And you have 4 that stop leaking @ 28 !!!
Try this: before you go home for the night, go to a close by gas station and pump them up to 40. Next morning, let the air out to 32. Drive normally for 3 days. Check the pressure in the morning on the fourth day before you take off. I hope you will see 32, assuming the 2 morning temperatures are similar. I think there is a change of 1 lb. for every 6 degrees C. difference.
By the way, don't check the tires between the mornings because you'll let a little air out whenever you use a gauge. Good luck.

Old 12-01-2006, 07:42 PM

I was recently surfing car domain and I came across this pick.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...45_32_full.jpg

The tire is the original Michelin that comes with Mazda and the original Mazda rims. It is slightly diflated in the pic and thats exctly what my tires look like when they are at 28 psi.

Just wondering if anyone else out there noticed this with their original tire package?

Old 12-02-2006, 02:38 AM

What's the latest with your leaking tires ? I think a difference of 4 psi is difficult to tell visually.

Quick Reply: Weird Tire Issue