Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

What brand of tires for replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 01:09 PM
k
Default What brand of tires for replacement?

I am looking four new tires (215/50/17). The OEM Michelin Piolt Hx is so expensive($213 per tire plus installation). What is budget and good new tires for replacement?

How about Falken Ziex Ze-512, Yokohama s drive, Pirelie p6 four season plus, or Goodyear eagle GT or Bf Goodrich g-force?

Thanks

Old 06-30-2010, 05:51 PM

The S drives were good tires, though they didn't last as long as I'd hoped. Currently, for my daily driving set, I'm running Dunlop Sport Signature SP's and I couldn't be happier, great wear, low noise, good wet performance, and decent grip. I wouln't use them as a track tire but they are more than adequate for daily use with the occasional spirited romp through the twisties.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:48 PM
k

How many miles for S drive?
I don't like dunlop tire so much.
Did someone have Bridgestone - Turanza with Serenity Technology? The price at Costco is $157.99. Is it good?

Thanks

Old 06-30-2010, 11:44 PM

I got about 20k or so out of them when I was hoping for 30-40k. I run Bridgestone Potenza RE01-R's as race rubber for autox, but that's where my experience with 'Stone ends.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator

1) Falken Ziex ZE-512: Had 'em. Loved them @ first, but that love was short lived.
2)Yokohama s drive: Don't know about S drives, but Yoko's seem to be pretty mediocre all around. I used a set for auto-x like 20yrs ago. Not the best, not the worst.(<<< Just my 0.02.)
3) Pirelli p6 four season plus: Old school. Doesn't do anything exceptionally well. Plus Pirelli's tend to dry rot quickly
4) Goodyear eagle GT: You don't want to ask me anything about BadYear. The F1's seem pretty good... if you don't mind paying an arm and leg then only getting like 15k out of them.
5) BF Goodrich g-force: ??

I don't know what you're needs are, but if looking for a really good set of overall DD tires, the current high std (could change @ any time) seems to be the Conti DWS.
Pros: Excellent wear rating (540), traction, resistance to hydroplaning, positive braking response, good light snow traction, excellent ride, price, though it is climbing, not to mention a pretty cool tread pattern.
Cons are: Slower steering response, and soft ride.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:01 AM

Out of curiosity K, what do you have against Dunlop? Also, expanding your search to 225's will help with options as well as giving you a bit better traction.

Last edited by CKeffer; 07-01-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

I know you didn't ask me, Cameron, and my info is probably 20yrs old now too, but I ain't crazy 'bout Dunlops either.
Speaking generally, from back then, they were known to be hard, noisey and expensive. They hydroplaned like crazy, and even w/the harder tread compound, did not wear all that well.
Worst of all, they are a Good Year sister company!!!

Tire technology changes almost daily these days, so some of these "opinions" may be out of date, but I still know them to be fairly pricey, and they are still owned by Good Year!! Add to that that especially on modern cars, tires and how they work is more important now than ever before.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:42 PM
k

I used to have a 97 Toyota Camry with OEM Dunlop tires and even replacement. Those tires were often uneven wore out even doing wheel alignment.

Conti on my ford five hundred were so noisy compare to Bridgestone. Conti were last over 47,000 miles. It is not bad compare to Dunlop. My cousin have Conti on 07 Passat. He did not like it at all because of so noisy.

I think I will skip S drive, Falken, or Dunlop. The rest of brands seems like OK.

I just wonder why OEM Michelin are so expensive. I like it so much.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:58 PM

I was never crazy about the OEM Michelin's they wore out quickly, had crappy traction for the tread life, and were way over priced, but that's just my opinion. As for the dunlops, sounds like y'all have had some bad experiences with them, so I can understand your aversion to them, not going to change my opinion or sway me from going with the Direzza Star Specs as my next race tire, but I can see where y'all are coming from.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

I agree. It is truly hard to get an OE tire that is worth anything but for keeping the body up off the ground.
Then again, it is hard to get a really good tire, imho. It takes a lot of research for your particular vehicle and even then you might not get what you thought. Some work w/some cars better than others, while some don't seem to work well w/any in particular.
Michelin's are expensive, and its hard to justify the expense when they may, or may not be better than what ever else is out there at the moment.
I often get on TireRack and read the customer reviews for a particular tire I am interested in. Fortunately, their search engine allows to choose by make, so I might look first for Mazda, then Toyota, then Jaguar, then Dodge, etc. It's interesting that for any given make, many (customer reviews) have the same compliments or complaints about the tire which may, or may not cross-over into other makes of car using the same tire.
Check it out sometime. It's time consuming, but interesting research.

Quick Reply: What brand of tires for replacement?