Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

What is the Reliability of Speed 6 Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 05:47 PM
Default What is the Reliability of Speed 6 Engine?

We really fell for the new CX-7, but are familiar with fuel injected engines only. It is our understanding that the CX-7 uses the same engine as the Speed 6's so we're posting our questions here to people who know their vehicles.

1. Is a turbo powered engine as dependable as fuel injection?
2. Does the turbo mechanisms need to be replaced after X-number of miles?
3. Do they require any special handling/treatment?
4. I heard you have to let the engine idle for a minute after driving before shutting them off.

Any other info you'd like to offer would be helpful.

Old 08-27-2006, 07:47 PM
Default RE: What is the Reliability of Speed 6 Engine?

1) turbo engines ARE fuel injected, the turbo has ot do with air intake not fuel delivery, they tend to last 30k miles less than the same engine without a turbo (most stock turbos with low boost like the speed6)
2) not usually unless you are abusing the engine, then the turbo spindles may need it, regular oil changes and matenance will keep the turbo lubed and th eengine running nicely
3) not really. Anyhting special was done at the factory, like an intercooler and oil cooler, you just follow regular matenance and th eextra hardware has fail safes and are self-managing
4) it is highly reccomended that you wait at least 1 minute to let the hot oil drain from the turbos and it will greatly increase turbo life the harder you drive it the more waiting you need, some owners install turbo timers that idle the car for x amount o fminutes after the car is shut off ("x" can be adjusted but most owners safely set it at 5 minutes or so)

Other info, if you are buying the vehicle new, the first few thousand miles (2 or 3 k) should be driven pretty easily and try not to get the boost up too high, rev through the rpm range slowly and if you have an auto it should shift for you safe, if you have a manual, don't take it to redline or push the engine hard ot show Civics who's boss untill after the engine has some good break in milage (like I siad at least 2 or 3 k but I'd reccomend maybe 5k if you can wait).

Old 10-10-2006, 12:59 AM
Default RE: What is the Reliability of Speed 6 Engine?

Well put Turbo. The owners manual only recommends a 30 sec cooldown after a long or hard drive, but that varies depending on the type and length of driving. failiure to do so can cause damage up to cracking the turbine housing bye not letting the hot oil out. The length of time the turbo motor lasts will depend pretty much solely on the way it's driven, and the way it's maintained. Again, the owner's manual states there is no break-in period except not to constantly drive at WOT too often, and to not drive at constant speed or throttle position for extended periods of time for the first 600 miles. In my opinion, drive it like you're going to drive it, unless that's ***** out all the time. For proper break in, the engine should be driven accross the rev range, including to redline (only occasionally) but not ***** out, take the car gently through the rev range, but you can floor it occasionally, jut not regularly. I typically allow for about a 1K mile break in before I mash on the engine. This is the way I do things, and all in my opinion. Hope it helps.