New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

2002 Mazda Tribute ES V6 AWD or 4x4 ?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Default Is the 2002 Mazda Tribute ES V6 an AWD or 4x4 or 4WD ?!?

Hello Everyone,

I just took up a new job in the US (California) and moved in a couple of weeks ago. I am looking for a car and there is a 2002 Mazda Tribute ES V6 on sale for $6000 right next door by the original owner! It has 90K miles on it and he said he'll provide me with a 'carfax' report (I am yet to find out what that means). Before I make the deal, I wanted to ask a very obvious question which the original owner has no clue about.

Is the Mazda Tribute ES V6 a 4x4? The model and trim logo on the tail gate only says TRIBUTE ES V6. The owner says there is an 'optional' feature that he never bothered to try - a switch on the front panel which evenly distributes the power to front and rear wheels. Is this a description of AWD, 4WD or 4x4? The only place I could actually find the words 4x4 was underneath the driver side sun visor where a few warnings are mentioned about not speeding when in 4x4 mode.

I am really excited about this car and I want to know whether I can take the car around on some popular 4x4 trails (nothing extreme) in SoCal.

Any response from you guys will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jeeejay; 06-10-2012 at 01:51 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:25 PM

ok a carfax report will tell you if the car/truck has been in an accident, flood ect.
This is a good thing.
As for the AWD/4wd.
Read this
4WD vs AWD: What's The Diff? - Tech Feature - Motor Trend

Old 06-10-2012, 01:48 AM

Thanks a lot for the quick response Mazda3UR.

I understand that the carfax report will be helpful to know the history of the vehicle - I'll surely ask for it when I decide to buy it (or any other car).

As for the AWD and 4WD, the article had a lot of information. However; I would like to know which category does the TRIBUTE ES V6 fall under? Does the 'LOCK' button on the control panel = 4WD or 4x4 or AWD. The car has automatic transmission but it has another switch called 'Over Drive' (on the gear lever) and there are two addtional gears numbered 1 and 2 apart from the P, N, R and D. The original owner says he never bothered to use them.

If I'll buy that car, I would like to take it for off-roading - not the extreme types (like Hummer or Jeep) but just the simple stuff - for fun. I would like to know whether I can take it and if yes, then how to operate it in that condition.

Please help. Thanks.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:45 AM

I am not familar with the truck, but from your description I would say it's a 4x4. BUT only ment for things like snow and slush. Not so much off roading. That isn't saying you couldn't take it offroading. I would think you would find the limits of the system rather quickly and do damage to the system at the same time if pushed.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:30 PM

I c ... thanks a lot for your responses - they have been helpful. I certainly don't wish to damage the car by pushing limits. I'll add a post on the Mazda Tribute thread and see if an owner of a similar car has some experience.

- GJ