New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

98 Mazda Millenia

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Default 98 Mazda Millenia

I have a 98 Mazda Millenia that was wrecked at the front end .After replacing the front end I found out the map reading lights and the sun roof do not work.I changed the fuse that pretained to the sunroof but I still don't have any power coming to the switch...Other than the fuse box underneath the dash I don't see anything pretaining to the sunroof or dome lights listed .....Any suggestions? Need help Hogan 2

Old 11-08-2005, 10:42 PM
Default RE: 98 Mazda Millenia

Are you getting 12 volts to the sunroof switch relay that is located to the right of the motor? You should have 12 volts to each of the three green wires in the relay connector.

Old 11-10-2005, 10:31 AM

HEY BABY HUEY THANKS FOR THE CALL BACK...I WENT OUT AND CHECKED THE CONNECTOR LIKE YOU ASKED BUT NO POWER TO THE CONNECTOR OR TO THE DOME LIGHTS.....IS THERE A CONNECTOR IN THE HARNESS THAT MAY NOT BE CONNECTED.....

Old 11-10-2005, 07:03 PM

Hogan2, If no 12 volts at the 3 green wires of sunroof relay then follow those three wires over to the left about 1 foot and they should all come together in a one pin connector. On the other side of the connector the wire color turns to a green w/ orange strip. Make sure that is plugged in. Do not see how this would affect the map/dome lights though. Your vanity mirror lights should also not be working as well as the rear overhead lights. I am assuming that even though the sunroof fuse is good you do have 12 volts thru it. If all this is ok the only common connection point between the two is coming out of the under dash fuse box. Looking at this fuse box continue looking up to the top right corner. Should be a six pin connector there with 4 or 5 wires coming out of it. Make sure that is plugged in. The Green w/ orange stripe wire in that connector supplies power to the sunroof relay and the Blue w/ red stripe wire supplies power to interior dome lights (not counting the lights in the doors ). Hope this helps.

Old 11-17-2005, 09:33 AM

Thanks Huey ,I couldn't see where the wires go in that little cramped space...would I have to take the moulding off on the inside of the car to follow it down to the fuse box?How often should I change the struts and shocks?My car rides like a truck ,when I hit bumps I can feel every one of the them. Some people say you don't need to change the struts just the shocks.I have 134,000 miles and have never changed those or my timing belt.Any suggestions?

Old 11-17-2005, 09:35 PM

Would't take any mouldings off yet to follow the wire. You might need to remove the trim panel that blocks access to the fuse box if you can not see up to the very top. Am sending a drawing of the fuse box/joint box that shows the location of the connector in question. This looks to be the only common connector between the interior lights and sunroof. Just want to check and make sure it is fully plugged in. Also sending a pic of the sunroof wire diagram as well as interior lights. The arrows are pointing to the connector that needs checked. Will give you an idea of what you are looking for.
As for struts/shocks. You have struts at all four corners and they wear out just like shocks do. If they are the originals and ride is deteriorating then a new set will probably make you wish you had done them earlier. They tend to deteriorate so gradually that you really do not notice but when new are installed you should be amazed at the ride quality difference. Timing belt is way overdue for replace at 134k. 90-100k is normal life span. Did not see that you noted if was a Millenia S. When replacing the t-belt it is usually a pretty good idea with the mileage you have to replace the water pump and from engine oil seals as well. Mazda now has a value line timing belt kit that is an excellent deal. Comes with new belt and several of the idler or tensioner bearing for about 1/4 cost of buying individually. Check into it when looking at replace time. I think Gates has a similar type of kit as well in the aftermarket world.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/DEBA16CCDE134D95AA69548A45688E87.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/895EAF8B70BF401DA4C1BAD119828EF4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/5527384CD0F242AB8AA3A2DE6C611B6D.jpg[/IMG]

Checked on that value line kit. Do not see one available for Millenia S yet but the kit for the 2.5l KL engine is only $145.30. includes t-belt, tensioner, and both idler bearings. Retail for these four parts individually totals $497.20!!!! Now thats a savings.

Old 11-23-2005, 11:48 AM

Hey Huey, thank you so much for your help. This bit of info I assure you is not landing on deaf ears....I will set up an appointment with the dealership to have some of this work done ...I know with the Chevrolet dealership that handles Mazdas I gonna have to bring my own vasaline(smile)but I plan on keeping the car so I might as well put the money in it to save it. Thank you again....Will get back to you.....