New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

AC Serious Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 11:28 AM
Exclamation AC Serious Problem

Hi all, I have a big problem with the AC on my 2009 Mazda 3 and I am looking for some advise.

Last month I was driving back to Colorado Springs,CO from SLC,UT and while we were in a terrible traffic jam because of an accident, my steering wheel turned to be really hard, as if the hydraulic system died and the light for the steering wheel system came on on the dashboard.

At the same time the AC went off and we notice a burned smell inside the car. As the OM recommends, we stopped as soon as we could and let it cool off.

After 30 minutes I started the car again and the steering wheel was working perfect but the AC has not worked since then.

I took it to an authorized Mazda dealer and they said the to events are not related and it is only a coincidence. I took my car to a private mechanic who ran a test for the AC and they told me the entire system was completely dead. And they want to charge me almost $2k to fix it. I am just 700 miles over the 60K for warranty (I might drove just 500 after the incident just to come back home) and don't know what to do.

The dealer said it is just a coincidence and the two problems are not related. To me it does not make sense, specially because I found out that there are two recalls for those cars, one of them directly in relation to the steering wheel pump system.

I just need help to know if the problem with the steering wheel could have been the cause of the problem with the AC.

I will really appreciate any advice, I don't make tons of money to pay for those $2K and not feel it. I all ready payed $200 just to know the AC system is not working.

Thank you all.

HJ

Last edited by hiramjn; 07-25-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:40 PM

I'd pressure the dealer over it, if you don't get anywhere, I'd take it to Mazda corporate.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

I hear ya', HJ.
Yes, the electric steering pump in the '08-'09 cars is suspect, and they were replacing the ones that showed signs of a problem. Once the engine is shut off and restarted the system will usually begin to work again right away, but for how long???

But I don't see how the two problems could be related. Two different systems. One driven by the engine's power (the A/C,) the other (PS) by the car's electrical system.
Were any fuses for the A/C system blown? This is just a shot in the dark but is it possible the HVAC control panel went bad? Do you have control over the heater and blower motor? There is also a relay that controls the A/C system/clutch that may have taken a dump.
All things you may want to have checked out, or DIY if you are able.