New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Automatic Transaxle Buzz

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 10:43 AM
Default Automatic Transaxle Buzz

I recently purchased a used 2020 CX-5 with 74K miles on it. I hear a loud buzz coming from the transaxle oil pan. The buzz starts in the 2nd accessory mode before the engine starts up. The noise continues for about 20-seconds after shutting off the engine also. Maybe a bad solenoid? Anyone experience this? Car seems to run great and shift normal.

Old 03-21-2023, 11:36 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Old 03-21-2023, 11:38 AM

With those miles my first thought is getting the differentials and especially the transmission pan fluid and filter service done.
Chances are very high neither was ever done.

Old 03-21-2023, 11:42 AM

Thanks for that. Mazda claims the transaxle fluid never needs changing for the life of the car. I find that hard to believe and will start the fluid change tomorrow.

Old 03-21-2023, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by NgineerNMe
Thanks for that. Mazda claims the transaxle fluid never needs changing for the life of the car. I find that hard to believe and will start the fluid change tomorrow.
The lifetime fluid interestingly runs out when your warranty does.. LOL

If you look on this forum I am a stickler for getting that service as soon as 15-25k miles. I have a couple dozen oil analysis now that supports empirical data indicating that the fluid needs to be changed and the pan cleaned at those early miles and at least every additional 25-35 k miles minimum for a long healthy transmission life.

Just because the reports from so many say their transmission is doing fine and the oil servcie is not needed only means that until there is a problem. LOL $$$$$$$

Old 03-21-2023, 12:02 PM

THANKS! I agree wholeheartedly! Why are companies starting to pretend these fluid changes can be extended and even lifetime? To advertise they have lower maintenance costs compared to other companies? This is my first Mazda and so far I like it.

Old 03-21-2023, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by NgineerNMe
THANKS! I agree wholeheartedly! Why are companies starting to pretend these fluid changes can be extended and even lifetime? To advertise they have lower maintenance costs compared to other companies? This is my first Mazda and so far I like it.
IMHO Mazda builds a quality vehicle with less then average issues for the overall numbers manufactured.
We often get many platforms into the shop with transmission concerns and strangely it is after the warranty has lapsed and in the 130k-150k miles. Most all could have been averted with a little more servicing of fluids.
ASE

Although my Mazda 3 is a 2018 this is my thread. There are several transmission service and oil analysis I have done on both the engine and the transmission fluid.
Mazda3 Things I like to do - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums