New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Battery issue or something else??

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2024, 09:36 AM
Exclamation Battery issue or something else??

I am not sure if it has something to do with my car battery or not because I have been getting a few warning signs such as my fuel gauge stuck on the full, when I start my car it doesn't start until I put the key to the start and stop button.

sometimes the start and stop flashes before the car starts.

any advice would be highly appreciated.

Old 06-30-2024, 10:36 AM

Welcome to the forum

When you ask a technical help question you need to post at least the minimum information about your vehicle just like you would if you went to a service shop?

year
Model
Miles
Last service done and what miles or date.

Your concern is very common on most all auto forums including this one.

There are several dozen or more threads relating to electrical problems, and you will see that very first recommendation is ALWAYS having your battery load tested!
The age of the battery has nothing to do with its true health. So, before any further (guessing) or more questions concerning your specific issue you need to get the battery load tested and post the results.
Whomever does the battery test make sure that your battery is at least 12.5 volt minimum for the test. REQUIRED!

Make sure that you or a competent mechanic check ALL the batter cable connections at the battery terminal and also where they are connected to, either the starter or alternator and the ground at the body or chassis.

ASE

Old 06-30-2024, 01:20 PM

Hi thank you for getting back to me, my car is a 2015 sports nav 115 ps model last service was done in Peugeot dealership in April since I got the from there. Likewise the car only done 26,401 miles. Other than that issue pretty much everything seems to work fine

Last edited by JCB09; 06-30-2024 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-30-2024, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by JCB09
Hi thank you for getting back to me, my car is a 2015 sports nav 115 ps model last service was done in Peugeot dealership in April since I got the from there. Likewise the car only done 26,401 miles. Other than that issue pretty much everything seems to work fine
You did not mention what the service performed was?

Old 06-30-2024, 02:11 PM

The reason for the question is it gives me an idea what area they were working around.

Never the less I gave the first recommendation that needs to be done first.

Old 06-30-2024, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
You did not mention what the service performed was?

so the service it was basic oil change with filter, sump plugs, screen wash, wipers, tyres, and vehicle health check (but didn’t specify anything to do with battery) similar to other service history also didn’t specify any battery changes or checks.

I don’t if this information even helps but the battery is lead (PB) for start and stop

Last edited by JCB09; 06-30-2024 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-30-2024, 02:45 PM

Ok thanks...

But the age, (sticker or retail stocking date code or purchase date which is not when the battery was manufactured) and brand or type battery has nothing to do with the current condition of the battery. The first thing a good Automotive Technician (not necessarily a general auto mechanic) will do is check the batteries health. (Load Test) and the batteries connections before continuing any electrical system diagnosing.

Old 06-30-2024, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Ok thanks...

But the age, (sticker or retail stocking date code or purchase date which is not when the battery was manufactured) and brand or type battery has nothing to do with the current condition of the battery. The first thing a good Automotive Technician (not necessarily a general auto mechanic) will do is check the batteries health. (Load Test) and the batteries connections before continuing any electrical system diagnosing.

Many thanks for the advise I have booked a battery check for my car tomorrow (I’ll keep the forum updated if anything arises)

Old 07-04-2024, 08:50 AM

Many thanks for the advise I have booked a battery check for my car tomorrow (I’ll keep the forum updated if anything arises)

So I had my battery checked up and was told that it is 50% with 12.80 volts. And after few more miles the fuel gauge suddenly started working.

Old 07-04-2024, 09:43 AM

So I had my battery checked up and was told that it is 50% with 12.80 volts. And after few more miles the fuel gauge suddenly started working.
Sorry what did they represent the 50% meaning?
Curious they (who is they?) tested a battery at 12.80 volts? That is interesting because a battery at rest (engine off and voltage stabilized) is generally 12.50?
A thought occurred to me and just asking or making a blanket comment that does not need to be answered.

Some people have occasional "TOPPED" off (over filled) their gas when filling it. This can occasionally cause the sensor in the tank to report anomalously for a short time. While it is not generally in a technical write or service procedure and after verifying that the tank sensors and ECU are in working order , and before dropping the tank (lots of labor time) and after battery load testing, that we simply disconnected the battery for 15-30 minutes and reconnected and it reset the fuel level monitors/sensors?

Quick Reply: Battery issue or something else??