New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Car Shopping in New England

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2023 | 12:20 PM
|
Default Car Shopping in New England

i live in MA and am currently looking for a new or used car...i currently have a '13 automatic subaru legacy with 218k miles and it has gotten very oil thirsty over time...it runs fine but i'm getting annoyed with adding oil...i previously had a '05 automatic mazda 6 which ran to about the same mileage before i sold it...before that i had 2 manual honda civics ('87 & '99)...i'm really looking for a wagon or crossover with more cargo room and better gas mileage than i currently have (if possible)...by more cargo room i mean deeper or at least equal depth...cargo volume that extends vertically isn't what i'm after as i don't want to stack stuff up in the trunk...my wife has a '22 telluride so i don't need another vehicle that size...i say wagon cause they are typically lower to the ground and my dogs are getting older...below is my list of wants/needs along with my list of choices at the moment from low to high cost...i am considering the cx5 and cx50...i like the cx50 over the cx5 but it's considerably more expensive for the options that i want with very little added cargo volume over the cx5 and i hear the seating with the strip vertically up the middle of the seat feels like you're wearing a thong so i'll probably chop it off my list...i'm also considering rav4 and crv...i'm sure my choice will be heavily influenced by wait times and if there are any stupid dealer markups...i have not driven any of these yet...

all input is welcome...thanks in advance...

needs*/wants:
*-reliability
-non-hybrid (for now...battery replacement costs scare me as i keep my cars for at least 10 years)

*-60/40 folding second row (or some type of split folding rear seat)
*-pleather/leather (because 2 dogs and 1 kid)
*-be able to fit in the garage have about 18’ of space would like to have 2’-3’ of that to walk around the front or back (legacy length = 187.2")
*-awd or fwd
-not a cvt transmission if possible (don't mind toyota's reliable planetary CTV)
-would like 30+ mpg
-smaller wheels with more tire for a better ride
*-splash guards
*-all weather floor mats and trunk tray
-2nd row seat back protection (rubberized)
*-no lights in bumpers
-aux input
*-dual driver memory settings
-dual bluetooth phone connections
-window rain guards
*-CarPlay

choices at the moment (below choices/trims have leather seating and driver's seat memory):
-cx5 awd preferred or carbon (30.8 cu ft cargo, 24 / 30 / 26 MPG, 6-speed, 40/40/20 back seat, carplay,) seat back protection? aux input? dual bluetooth connections?

-crv awd exl (39.3 cu ft cargo, 27 / 32 / 29 MPG, CVT, 60/40 back seat, carplay) seat back protection? aux input? dual bluetooth connections?
-rav4 awd xle premium + weather package (37.5 cu ft cargo, 27 / 33 / 29 MPG, 8-speed, 60/40 back seat, carplay) seat back protection? aux input? dual bluetooth connections?
-cx50 awd 2.5s premium plus or turbo (31.4 cu ft cargo, 24 / 30 / 27 MPG, 6-speed, 60/40 back seat, carplay) seat back protection? aux input? dual bluetooth connections?

Old Today | 08:48 AM
|

below is how i came to settle on a '25 cx-5 preferred...i will update this as i go...

new car needs:
check - reliability
check 40/20/40 - 60/40 folding second row
check - pleather/leather or seat covers (because dogs)
check 15' - be able to fit in the garage have about 18’ of space would like to have 2’-3’ of that to walk around the front or back
check awd - awd or fwd
check - not a cvt transmission if i can avoid it (toyota's planetary style cvt is fine though)
check - timing chain, not belt
probably not - would like 30+ mpg
check 17s - smaller wheels with more tire
check add on - splash guards
check add on - all weather floor mats and trunk tray
check - no lights in bumpers
nope - aux input
equalish - more cargo floor area (not volume) than my legacy
check (i-stop not available until trims higher than preferred) - no engine autostop without a button control with memory

new car wants:
check - dual driver memory settings
not sure - dual bluetooth phone connections
can add on - window rain guards
check - CarPlay
can add on - 2nd row seat back protection (rubberized)
check - heated seats
nope - cooled seats
check - backup camera

accessories added (thread below)...
https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...ssories-54576/

so far i love the car...a few things i don't like...

-12v outlet in arm rest is always powered...have been watching youtube videos to see how to convert to accessory mode
-shiny black trim around shifter and door window controls scratches easily...would like to see something more scratch resistant there...looks like there are some stick on trim options that i may look into
-the radio controls are not intuitive at all...will take some getting used to but i do like the dial control but it's not easy to know when you use the joystick vs the dial

improvements...
-would love to see a ruggedized trim like subaru does with the wilderness trim or like the honda element interior cause i love the features but the interior is not going to be able to keep nice with dogs but i will manage