New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Car shopping Newb

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Default Car shopping Newb

Hello everyone. I've just started shopping for cars. This will be only the second car I've ever purchased myself and I want it to be a quality, fun to drive car that will last a long long time.

I drove the new Mazda 3 and LOVE it! So I am doing my research now into buying used.

Things I want to learn: What model years have the best ratings; is it a bad idea to buy a high mileage Mazda 3; is it easy to upgrade for performance (for autocross); what can I expect to pay for one; and what do I not know I don't know? (a lot, I'm sure)

I'm here to learn and to listen. Thanks in advance, everyone!

Miss J

Old 03-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator
Wink

Hi, and Welcome Miss J.
1) All Mazda3's rate well in most categories. The category they usually fall a little short of is fuel mileage, but not by much.
2) It is my considered opinion that buying a high-mileage car w/o knowledge of the previous owner, driving and service habits is almost always a bad idea.
3) As the ad says, check the CarFax for any reported accident damage. It's usually worth signing up for a short time. But also keep in mind that if the car was involved in an accident that WASN'T reported that information will not show up on the report.
4) Have a TRUSTED mechanic at the ready to inspect any car you are considering. Yes, it will cost you $100-$150/car but may save you from a grave error that will cost you much more in the long run. E#example: A co-worker, VERY nice girl I work with recently bought a 2002 Acura TSX, a VERY nice looking car and comfortable too, but she was completely unaware that they have a serious transmission flaw. Not only did she end up paying too much for the car, but an additional $3,000 for a new trans 6-8 months later. If only she had asked me first.....
5) As a former auto-Xer myself, I can tell you that all you might want to do, and where your money will best be spent on a Mazda3 is in the suspension and brakes.
Power adders to the engine will cost a lot (to do it right,) not be worth it in the long run and get you very little increase in power, or economy. Plus doing too much will put in a higher class, and you will end up being out-classed.
First are a GOOD set of tires. This will do wonders for the car by themselves.
Second, a heavier rear sway bar will help allot with the understeer.
Third, adjustable rear, upper control arms for dialing in (or out) camber.
Finally a set of springs, (coil-overs if you're REALLY serious about Auto-X and don't care how it rides the rest of the time. The Eibach ProKit springs are recommended for overall good performance and ride. Eibach's SportKit if you want more drop and a harder ride, but not w/o install the camber arms mentioned above.
A set of sport shocks? Get the Koni FSD "system" if you can afford to. That includes Koni's best self-adjusting dampers and a set of EiBach ProKit springs for a mild drop.
Koni or Bilstein sport shocks otherwise, but they will ride harder on the street.

I'm running the H&R's Street Springs which are HARD, I don't recommend them to most people.

Almost forgot... Get some good brake pads, and change the fluid in ANY used car you buy. Bleed the fluid till it runs clear and clean.
I'm running the EBC Green Stuff pads and like them allot, but others are running the Hawks. To me, the EBC's are easier on the rotors are less dusty than the Hawks. Just my own opinion there... Of course most of this post is my opinion.

Last edited by virgin1; 03-26-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:45 AM

Thanks, V that's very helpful. Tires, brakes, and sway bar? How much shld I expect to spend?

I saw a few come thru on eBay that looked good. It's nice that eBay posts the reports. Some of those cars had been in accidents, one was down as a poss total loss. Eek.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

That's largely up to you and your wallet and patience. But as a few examples:
Tires: $450-$850
Wheels: $800-$????
Brake pads: $65-$80/axle
Sway bar AND links: +/-$200-$260
Springs: $200-$300/set
Camber arms: +/-$160
Dampers (shocks): $400-$600
Koni FSD kit (includes dampers and springs): $750-$850

Rough ideas based on what mine has cost me so far... and I have been a patient shopper.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:46 PM

Good points by Virgin1.

The thing to consider is that it takes a while to get good at auto crossing. I know that you can gain experience and have fund doing it with the stock set-up. Pump the tires up to the max. Learn some techniques, like braking hard first and letting up later, just opposite what people do in traffic.

Once you think you are driving at the car's limit you can start upgrading. It may be easier on the wallet.

I read a book on auto crossing and the author said that most street racing brakes are a waste when it comes to auto crossing. Your run maybe a minute to 2 minutes. that is hardly enough to bring road racing brakes and tires up to operating temperature. Low end stuff may actually be better for auto crossing.

Any way you do it: have fun!

Old 03-31-2012, 09:19 AM

Yesterday I drove a mazdaspeed 3. '08 with just under 64k miles. It was nice. Engine rebuilt and brand new clutch. Stock. Fun car.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:19 PM
Banned
Talking

Originally Posted by petknitter
Yesterday I drove a mazdaspeed 3. '08 with just under 64k miles. It was nice. Engine rebuilt and brand new clutch. Stock. Fun car.
Mazdaspeed 3 is definetly Mazda's Best Zoom Zoom car.