New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Clutch problems help

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 02:21 AM
Default Clutch problems help

Hey guys so i believe i have clutch problems but i need help on what it may be and how do i fix it.

For the past week my clutch has a really high pitch somewhat screaming sound when i push it down.what i mean by screaming is almost like a high pitch grinding that sounds like a scream.it does not make this sound when i don't push the clutch down.Today when i was driving ,i pushed the clutch down to change gears and suddenly my clutch locked down, i was in the middle of the freeway so i continued to drive a bit since there was no way of stopping. i could still change gears,but the clutch is only about half an inch off the floor so thats obviously not OK.I parked the car later and pulled it up using my hands.since then it hasn't got stuck,but my clutch pedal has vibrations when i push it down,and it obviously still screeches.
My gears don't grind though...

please fellow helpers...what is this?

Old 04-19-2012, 12:06 PM

Sounds like a bearing might have gone out.

-Sheldon.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:43 PM

In fact, it sounds like the throw out bearing is broken. You will likely replace the whole clutch assembly since engine and transmission must be separated anyway.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:18 AM

Thanks guys so its the bearing?
and whats the most cost efficient way of fixing it?Any website?average cost?
Do I absolutely have to change the whole clutch assembly?

Old 04-20-2012, 01:45 PM

Shayan:
Of course what we say is a best guess based on the posted information. Both Trini and I conclude that the Throw out bearing is bad. The trow out bearing is only under load while you press on the clutch pedal. And that is when you hear the noise.

The parts are not all that expensive (check on RockAuto.com, Ebay motors and parts stores) The clutch sits between the engine and transmission and it is bolted to the engine fly wheel. You have to pull the transmission or the engine to get there. The cost is in that labor. Therefore it makes sense to replace the whole clutch. But if the clutch is still good you are not forced to change the whole clutch.
You said the clutch locked up, so you need to inspect every part to make sure...

Old 04-21-2012, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Though this could involve the TOB, I had a similar situation a number of years ago when my diaphram style clutch had a broken spring plate. Diaphram clutches (very common these days) use a single piece of formed circular shaped spring steel. It's one piece with the fingers the TOB presses against to engage the release action of the clutch assembly. That piece of spring steel is attached to and applies pressure on the machined mating surface that normally presses against the clutch disc when the clutch is disengaged and the car is moving.
Definition/explaination: You engage the clutch by pressing the clutch pedal. The clutch is disengaged when the pedal is released.
The terminology is a bit confusing to most people (seems backward) so I thought an explaination was in order.
When mine was removed, it was clear by several fingers that were down from the others that the spring plate was cracked. When I look into to unit, it was clear where the crack was.

Best recommendation: Have the flywheel turned to true it up and get rid of any "hot spots" and replace the entire clutch assembly.

Last edited by virgin1; 04-21-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:11 PM

Thank you all for the advice, i greatly appreciate it.

Where can I get this fixed? PeP boys? anywhere that will fix it for the lowest price?

Old 04-23-2012, 09:44 AM

Virgin1: thanks for the explanation on "engaged vs disengaged" clutch. I had this the wrong way around for ever.

Shayan: Get an estimate from Pep Boys. Then look for an independent shop in your area and get an estimate from them.

Make sure that the estimates list all the items that Virgin1 suggested, including the machining of the flywheel. No shortcuts!