New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

First Time Mazda Owner-Needs help

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 09:31 AM
Default First Time Mazda Owner-Needs help

Hi everyone,
I just purchased my 2007 mazda 3 hatch in October. I got totally jerked and feel like I got a pos but I'll live with it.

I do have a few questions though--
-How do I know which model I have. I thought I had the 3i but I'm not sure. It's an 07, manual, 5 dr hatch, no clue about the engine, fog lights, no extras ( I don't think), black leather seats (no heat).
Edited: I now think I have the 3s. my gauges have the option of being blue.

But my main issue is the gas mileage!
My gas mileage is complete sh*t. I get 200 miles +/- on a tank-that can't be normal.

I'm a honda girl. Driven hondas my whole life. I wanted to downsize from my honda pilot and go back to driving a stick which is how I got the mazda. I know in my old 05 civic I would get about 350 miles to a tank. 200 is ridiculous. The dealership i bought the car at is useless.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

I'm located in Long Island if it makes a difference.

THanks all!

Last edited by Flygirl21; 01-03-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:04 PM

Hi Flygirl.

Sorry your start with mazda is a bit rocky. The good way to determine what model you have is using the VIN number. You find it in your title, registration and windshield driver side. The use an online VIN decoder:Mazda VIN Decoder | My VIN Decoder

As far as mileage goes, miles per tank is not a good way to measure. Not all tanks have the same size and not all gauges show E with the same amount of fuel left. Paper and pencil (or calculator) give you a more accurate idea: write down your odometer reading when you fill up. When you are ready to buy fuel again write down the odometer reading again and write down how many gallons it took to fill up. Now comes the math: let's say you first filled up at 74382miles, then you filled up again at 74593 miles, that means you traveled 211 miles. Let's say it took 12.6 gal to fill up: 211miles divided by 12.6gal equals 16.7 miles per gal.

Now you can assess the fuel consumption but you cannot compare to your former Honda because you did not do the same math with it. But it will be possible to tell if there is something wrong with the car or if driving habits could be changed to improve fuel efficiency.
Maybe it needs a tune up. How many miles are on it? Is the proper oil in it? Are you doing short trips or long ones? Do you have extra weight in the car? Are the tires properly inflated? Are the brakes dragging? Do you have a lead foot?
All of that figures into fuel economy.

I hope you will get to like your 3 in the end.