New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Is this a good price quote?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 11:10 PM
Default Is this a good price quote?

Hi all,

I am going to be a first-time Mazda3 buyer, and, after doing much research and receiving several price quotes, would like to ask for your informed opinion about whether I am getting a good price.

Model:

New 2010 MAZDA3 s Grand Touring 5-Door manual (black mica exterior and black leather interior) with:
-technology package
-moonroof/6CD/Bose package

The pre-tax price quotes that I got from dealers so far (I live in northern California) are:

$22,762
$23,069
$23,712
$23,912
$24,000

As far as I know, the above quotes are all including:
-destination fee/delivery fee

but not including:
-DMV fee
-tax
-California tire fee
-documentation fee

Obviously I should be going for the dealer that is asking for $22,762. However, the True Market Value calculator from www.edmunds.com says that a dealer should have to pay $23,712 pre-tax (the "invoice" price) for this vehicle. This means that if the Edmunds calculator is right, that dealer would be losing money with the price quote they gave me. The dealer in question seems pretty legitimate/big: Fremont Mazda. I grilled Fremont about whether there are any hidden fees/any tinkering with the car over the phone, and there doesn't seem to be any. I have yet to physically go into Fremont.

Steps to reproduce the Edmunds True Market Value I mentioned:

1) Go to http://www.edmunds.com/new/2010/mazd....html?action=2

2) Check the "Moonroof, 6-CD & Bose Audio Package" and the "Technology Package"

3) Select "Black Mica" color

4) Enter zip code "94131," my zip code

5) Click TMV Pricing Report

What do you guys think about a pre-tax price of $22,762 for the Mazda3 I described above?

Thanks in advance for any help; feel free to ask me to clarify!

Old 06-04-2010, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

For a 5-dr GT w/options? It sounds GREAT!!
Dealer often get incentives from the manufacturer to move inventory, which is probably why they can afford to sell the car @ less than invoice.
However, I doubt the quoted price includes destination fees, usually around $750.

If they start pulling a fast one on you (hard sell, dealer or cost add-ons,) be prepared to walk out and try one of the other dealers you have listed. You will have to listen to their spiel, but avoid the temptation to buy additional warranties, wheels protection insurance and any other BS they try and sell you before closing the deal. This is often where the REAL mark-up is.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:19 AM

Hey virgin1,

Thanks for your extremely helpful explanation about how a dealer can actually go under the invoice price! I will also keep your advice in mind as I negotiate with the dealers.