New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

New to the forum.. need help with my Tribute V6.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 12:17 AM
Default New to the forum.. need help with my Tribute V6.

Hopefully you guys wont mind me posting this in this forum.. Im in desperate need of some help. Ive registered on a couple boards to help solve this issue.

I have a 2002 Mazda Tribute. I replaced a O2 sensor about a week ago and used a code reader/scanner to clear the CEL. Long story short I have until Jan 2nd to smog this truck to pay my registration. The problem is my wife and I have drove this thing for a few days now and I figured the ECU would be done self-diagnosing by now. I was wrong, it passed the sniffer test with flying colors but they failed me because I still have pending MIL codes? They told me I had to drive it for a while more to clear that up and then retest.

Ive estimated between my wife and I that we've logged approx. 150-200 miles, probably under 200, since I installed the O2 and cleared the code.

My local Ford dealership (since it is the Ford V6) told me it certainly shouldnt take a couple hundred miles to run all the tests, they said something like 30 miles. The guy at the desk, not a tech, told me it had to be a good mix of intown and freeway. Im not sure if I believe them.... simply because with my handheld scanner its showing that all the tests are not complete, yet I have deffinately done more then 15 intown and 15 freeway. Right now it says my Cat converter, O2s, and O2 heater tests are not complete.... everything else is.

How many miles must I drive to clear this up? My buddy that owns the handheld said he thinks its 200. I spent an hour driving today just to see if it would do anything.... still not cleared. I just reset the ECU today and drove around and did all the suggested driving proceedures to clear them, another board member mentioned the proceedures, and now I have even more pending tests.

Is it OK to reset, not clear all the codes, return home.. shut the truck off, and then continue to clear these things over time? Recently Ive been under the impression that I have to clear all the codes after reseting without turning the truck off.

Any help is appreciated and sorry for the long post.