New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

New to Mazda Forum, But not to Mazdas

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Default New to Mazda Forum, But not to Mazdas

I've been a member of the www.mx6.com forums for several years, and of the http://forums.probetalk.com/ forums since 2001. I have owned three Ford Probe GTs in the past and still have my #1, which I bought in 1995 on my birthday. I'm currently in the process of buying a 2008 RX-8 and since at least two of my local Probe Owners Club members also own the RX-8 and love them, I'm very excited about having one too. My #1 is approaching 200K and I wanted to have another exciting daily driver. I'd say I could not have made a better choice than an RX-8!

They call me PT Mom (aka ProbeTalk Mom) over on ProbeTalk because I have a grown son (he works for Apple's OS X team), and because I've been a mom to many on PT. Perhaps that will happen in the Mazda Forum as well, who knows. :

Old 06-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: New to Mazda Forum, But not to Mazdas

Hey PTM!! Welcome!! You and Renesis (Jennifer) should get together and have a "lady's talk" (<<< don't hate. It's just a suggestion ) about the 8 series.
RenJen, my nickname for her,is in Arizona and has a Winning Blue '05(?) that was mechanically pretty beat up when she got it, but she's been shaping it up very nicely though. Like all of us here, she's learning too and sometimes the hard way. She could no doubt save you some potential headaches.
You may have to get used to a few things driving a rotory from a piston engine.
1) They use oil and it needs to be checked regularly.
2) Low end torque is not the same in a rotory, but once you get past that... LOOK OUT!!Direct pull up to red-line.
3) I understand oil type and quality are very important in the Renesis engine too.
4) Fuel mileage is usually not that good, only fair.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Default RE: New to Mazda Forum, But not to Mazdas

Thanks, virgin1! (What is your name? Mine is Dale). I agree, we should talk. I've been told that you check the oil every 1000 miles, but it usually takes 6000 miles of ordinary driving before oil needs replacing. I'd be changing it every 3000 as recommended. Low end torque being less is OK - here's what one of the Probe club members said about his RX-7 (he also owns a Cobra which he races in SCCA, has quite a few trophies, his web site is http://thevenom.net):

i cant say enough about how great a car the rx8 is, and especially as a race driver. ive learned a lot from it. the chassis and driving dynamic is unlike any other car, and only the tiny size and weight of the rotary can provide that. the brakes will blow your mind and there is actually more room in the rear seats than the front for larger people.

the oil squirters are much more conservative than the older rotaries. even at laguna seca i consumed less than a quart in 6 sessions. for street driving it takes about 6K miles of normal driving. did you know the probe also had oil squirters in the pistons?

the mileage is the only area where the rx8 is not absolutely tops. i got 23 in probe driving hard and get 17 driving the same way in the rx8. driving easy the probe was about 27 and the rx8 19-20.

the biggest weakness is also its biggest strength- it is a raw, merciless sports car. it is tiring to drive in traffic and always begs you to break multiple traffic laws, pass over the double yellow and threshold brake.
I'm not concerned about the gas mileage as it's not far from what I get in my J-Spec Probe GT, and I already use premium fuel for that car.

Looking forward in the near future to getting my RX-8!