New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Potential first-time buyer

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Default Potential first-time buyer

Hi all, my name is Mazda (no joke) and I'm close to buying a used Mazda. I figured I'd join here to ask you experts a few things about the cars I'm looking into

I had the pleasure of test driving a 1999 Mazda Protege a couple nights ago and despite being an automatic, it felt great. It has 256,800KM on it but runs well and has been serviced religiously. The owner has kept all of his service records and bills.

He is selling it for $2200 CDN but is open to any offer. I figure to deduct from his initial price a few of the faults but need your help in determining the value:

1. Pebble-sized crack in middle of windshield (not noticeable but needs to be fixed before it gets larger)
  2. Driver-side mirror cracked (by a hailstorm apparently, also not noticeable but probably needs to be fixed in order to pass safety)
  3. As I was driving, the overdrive light was flashing on the dashboard. The owner claims it could have something to do with the number of occupants in the car. There were three people in the car that night, he said that's how many there were the last time he noticed the light. I'm a bit worried about that as I don't have a clue what could be causing it.
  4. Some rust under driver-side door
  5. Same door also makes a loud *POP* sound when opened halfway, could be the hinge.
  6. At one point the brakes emitted a strange clunking noise. As he lives in a sub-division with a lot of construction and dirt, the brake pads or lining may require cleaning. I'm uncertain about that too.
The steering felt a bit stiff, but the car handled responsively. Maybe it just felt strange since I've been driving my dad's '98 Dodge Caravan for a while.

I'm viewing another '99 Protege tonight with the major differences being that it's a 5-speed manual and priced at $1700. Coincidentally it too has 257,000KM on the odometer

But I have to say, I'm really looking forward to becoming a Protege owner. It's a perfect car for my college commute and has plenty of room for a hockey bag

Old 09-05-2009, 12:54 AM

being my neighbor to the north, i am personally going to direct you towards the 323 GTX. i don't have that option locally, but i am sure there is one in reasonable distance from you. at least drive one and see what you think. i would get one if there was one within 800 km of me. unfortunately, the closest that i have found was about 1500 km away.

that car is all-wheel-drive and turbo charged. 5 speed manual and a blast to drive, from what i have been told.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:29 AM

Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a 323.

However, I did view the manual Protege earlier tonight. Although the gearbox seemed to be in good shape, the body had a lot of dents and rust on it. It also needed a couple tires to pass safety. I decided to make an offer on the automatic instead. For $1500 I am now the proud owner of a 1999 Protege

Will post pics once I get it.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Cpt.Mazda and welcome.
I would be worried about the OD light and the brakes most of all. I think I would ask to take the car to a qualified mechanic before going any further. W/that many kms (159,500 miles) there may be other problems lurking in its near future.
It sounds to me like either the owner is honest and really doesn't know, or is simply trying to dump his problems on someone else.
Telling you that 3 people in the car freaks it out has got to be pure bunk. Something is wrong there for sure.
And you don't want to mess around w/faulty brakes either.
As for the door noise, from the inside of the car, watch the door detent/stop (middle of the door between the hinges) as you open it. See if it suddenly jerks at the halfway point. It may be loose or in serious need of cleaning and lubrication.
As long as the windshield is not a safety or inspection issue, I would do a wait/see on that one. It will cost you ~$500 or more for a replacement but some cracks never spread and don't pose any further issues.
With that many miles already, the car is not liable to be a long term investment for you. And you've already suggested that you'd rather have a manual. I would spend as little $$$ on it as possible. Let it serve your needs for as long as possible, but drive it into the ground.