Off Road You go muddin' lately? Share your story... Is that ride of yours a rock climber? Show us in here.

Portugal Off-Road Adventure Planning

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2024, 02:59 AM
Default Portugal Off-Road Adventure Planning

Good day everyone! Just kicking off the planning stages for a 3-week off-road adventure through Portugal next year. Stumbled upon this Wikiloc trails that looks promising: https://www.wikiloc.com/trails/offroading/portugal. Have any of you done multi-day off-roading there before that have suggestions on must-see areas, preferred trails, or things to consider in your rig? Looking for real-world experience to supplement initial online planning. Thanks in advance!

Old 08-29-2024, 03:34 AM

I did a similar trip last year and highly recommend checking out the Serra da Estrela trails for stunning views and some challenging terrain. Also, don’t miss the coast around Alentejo – beautiful and less crowded. Make sure your rig has good suspension and extra fuel, as some stretches can be pretty remote. Happy planning and safe travels!

Old 08-29-2024, 10:35 AM

Reads like you are going to have a great time!

Old 08-29-2024, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by mazjohn
Good day everyone! Just kicking off the planning stages for a 3-week off-road adventure through Portugal next year. Stumbled upon this Wikiloc trails that looks promising: https://www.wikiloc.com/trails/offroading/portugal. Have any of you done multi-day off-roading there before that have suggestions on must-see areas, preferred trails, or things to consider in your rig? Looking for real-world experience to supplement initial online planning. Thanks in advance!
Thanks so much for the suggestions! Serra da Estrela and the Alentejo coast are exactly the types of specific region recommendations I was hoping for. Taking extra fuel is a great tip - don't want to get caught out in remote areas. Great tip on making sure the rig has good suspension, I'll be sure to check them beforehand on my rental vehicle. Really looking forward to exploring those areas next year. Safe travels to you as well, @madamsarah!

By the way, I was also looking into local guides in the Porto area and found a local guide who is also an off-road driver from https://gowithguide.com/portugal/porto/guides. I'll try to hire the guy at least for the first two days to get more tips.

Old 08-29-2024, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Reads like you are going to have a great time!
Thanks, @Callisto! I'm really looking forward to it! Portugal seems to have an amazing mix of beautiful scenery and rugged backcountry to explore. Mostly just excited to get out, disconnect a bit, and see what surprises Portugal has in store!