Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

Final Year Uni Transportation Design Project: Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 06:58 PM
Default Final Year Uni Transportation Design Project: Help Needed

Hi all,

I am currently in my final year of Transportation Design at Northumbria Uni. For my final project I am looking to design and develop some Mazda based accessories that would be both representative of the Mazda brand and also be a desirable product, rather than just producing cheap designs with a Mazda logo emblazoned on it.

If you could help me in this by posting a few details that would be much appreciated.

Please could you tell me your: age, sex, job description (optional), model of car and what accessory or accessories you would like to see designed, that enhance and represent the Mazda brand (the accessories do not have to be car based).

Any help would be fantastic!

Old 01-16-2010, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator

Let me start by welcoming you to the site and wishing you the best with your project.

Many enthusiasts want to add electrical accessories (various lights or stereo amplifiers, deactivation switches, etc) and use the un-used switch plates on the left side of the dash (LHD cars.)
The OE ones are hard to modify for std available switches because they are bulged instead of flat. How about making a set switch plates that would fit in there? You could offer them pre-drilled for some pretty std switches that are currently available. e.g. Drilled 1/2" hole, one for a rectangular rocker style switch, and of course offer a blank for custom installs.

Or, if you are willing to take on a bigger challenge:
What I might like to see an improvement on are better looking aftermarket LED taillights... something closer to the OE LEDs, only in the $100-$200 range? Though I already have a pair, the current AM picks are kinda' weak looking, imo.
These are examples of what's currently available:

These are for the hatchback/5-dr.
These fit the sedan (saloon)

Though I kept the factory reverse lights rather than install the gawdy AM ones, here are mine:

Name:  IMG_1624-1.jpg
Views: 3127
Size:  19.2 KB

As for your other questions: I am 52, Male, a Wareroom Manager, and own 2004 Mazda3 5-door (hatchback) w/5-speed manual transmission.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:49 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the info and giving me a few ideas on what you would like to see, it's a big help and really appreciated.

Could I just ask another quick question. Many car brands, such as BMW etc have their own merchandise range (e.g golf bags, apparel). What merchandise would you like to see (and buy) that would fit with the Mazda brand?

Thanks again for the help!

Old 01-16-2010, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Personally, nothing. I don't usually go in for such things.

Not being an upper-crust kind of car or company (e.g. Rolls, Jag, MB, Maybach, BMW, etc...) I wouldn't think there to be too much of a market for $1000 sets of leather luggage, or $800 golf bags for your Mazda... if you know what I mean?

Setting sights lower, but not w/o some competition, key fobs or t-/sweat shirts are always a possibility.
As a joke I was originally going to suggest a dashboard mounted Rose vase, but that too has been done before, VW.

Last edited by virgin1; 01-16-2010 at 02:29 PM.