Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

Fun Question for you all

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2024 | 10:53 PM
|
Smile Fun Question for you all

So the fun question is: Will drivers under 25 (young drivers) at some point in their life get car insurance rates similar to 25+ counterparts? Is it already possible to get the same rates as someone who is 25+?

For some background, I am a 20-year-old male driver. (Yes, in a group full of perhaps very risky drivers...) I own a Mazda which I take to college. The good news is that my rates aren't as high as every other young male driver. (Because I qualified for a student discount, and on a family insurance plan where rates are based on average age in the family) Sure, not on par with drivers 25 or older, but less than some of the risky drivers under 25. I haven't gotten into any accidents (thankfully!), do my best to obey the rules, went to a strict driving school in my town for drivers ed, and even learned driving on my mom's '16 Lexus CT200h (not some performance car or enthusiast track toy, which I am also grateful for).

But for everybody else, that isn't the case. (Due to statistics in my age group) With insurance companies charging under 25s higher rates than those over 25, rental car companies and car dealerships (Loaner/Courtesy Car Program) are taking action too. The minimum age to rent a car is 21, with additional fees till you are 25. (Mainly due to insurance) To get a loaner car at a dealership, the minimum age is also 21. The high insurance rates for young drivers also excludes a few young folks (15-24 age group) from driving or owning, according to a few of my peers and around and in the media.

What would happen one day if insurance companies said, "Lets make the insurance rates for the young-driver age group the same as the 25+ age group"? Will it benefit the young crowd?

Old 08-06-2024 | 02:35 AM

That's an interesting question. While equalizing insurance rates for young drivers could benefit many financially, insurance companies base premiums on risk factors, and statistics unfortunately show higher accident rates among younger drivers. However, with time and improved safety technology, this gap might narrow. Ultimately, insurance is a business balancing risk and cost, so rates will reflect these factors.

Old 08-08-2024 | 07:51 PM

I also find this question very interesting

Last edited by sidooo; 09-27-2024 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-09-2024 | 12:19 AM

Sorry but drivers under 25 don’t have the experience and are a risk not only to themselves but others on the road. Passing the written and simple basic driving test to get your license does not mean you are a safe driver no matter how well you obey traffic laws and try to be aware of the big picture. Generally driving for a few years you gain self awareness of things and inherently should become a safer and better driver. Until then your insurance rates and restrictions should remain like they are IMHO.

Old 08-10-2024 | 07:37 AM

ALL insurance rates are based on predisposed factual items.
You live where flooding is high you pay high flood insurance.
You are older and/or are in bad health you pay higher life insurance premiums.
You are a young and inexperienced driver you pay high vehicle insurance (also impacted by what vehicle you drive).
None of that will ever change unless the predisposed facts that determine the rates do.
I don't see enough young drivers miraculously gaining inherent good driving skills and maturity to alter the reality that there are far too many who won't.
The majority of collisions are for age groups 25 and under and 75 and older.
And yes, if you live to be old enough your car insurance will go up though not as much as a young driver as seniors as a whole simply do not drive as much.

Old 08-10-2024 | 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by EndlessDrop
Will it benefit the young crowd?
Definitely! But to the detriment of the more experienced, safer crowd. Insurance companies are not going to lower costs to any certain customer base, without making up that difference by increasing another customer base.

Old 08-10-2024 | 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by MeB2000
Definitely! But to the detriment of the more experienced, safer crowd. Insurance companies are not going to lower costs to any certain customer base, without making up that difference by *increasing another customer base.
*Cost or MSR
Not sure how insurance companies are any different regarding cost than any other business in America. Really!
It is basic fundamentals of running a business. Part of your business structure is based on how must your GPM is . Bottom line!

The other thing is I am not sure having to do with driving that with age and how long any person has been driving necessarily makes them any better the a 16 year old first time driver?
I personally feel the physical driving test should be harder to pass as well the Q&A test.

See this thread none of the videos were a driver less the 20 years old. And most were adults 30+ years old!!!!

Mazda and your dash cam shorts - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Last edited by Callisto; 08-10-2024 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-25-2024 | 09:36 PM
|

Passing the written and simple basic driving test to get your license does not mean you are a safe driver no matter how well you obey traffic laws and try to be aware of the big picture.
We could make the same argument for driver 30 or older or perhaps 40 or older.

I think making the drive test similar to the UK (40 minute drive test, challenging theory test) might make a difference.

Old 08-25-2024 | 09:53 PM
|

You are a young and inexperienced driver you pay high vehicle insurance (also impacted by what vehicle you drive).
I would like to add on to this statement in the brackets.

I think parents who buy their kids their first cars sort of don't get that message. (My parents kind of didn't as well to be fair) I went to a STEM high school where the parking lots were mostly BMWs, Benzes, Lexi (Lexus), Teslas and Audis. A few did drive Subarus and Toyotas. I knew a classmate who drove a BMW 3-Series and ended up crashing it. I walked past the BMW 3-Series (F30) once where the bumper was smashed up, license plate loose and had black marks (white paint job). He ended up getting a BMW M3 (F80) the next day.

My friend in college knew a guy in high school where his parents gave him a Porsche 718. He was trying to show it off one day and crashed it on the grass. My friend and his friends laughed at that guy's expense when he said "My parents are going to kill me!".

If the young drivers drove less expensive brands or drove beaters, the rates might be lower.

Old 08-26-2024 | 12:19 AM

Age does not mean better drivers and many started with bad habits ..

have look here lol

https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/off...-shorts-51146/

Quick Reply: Fun Question for you all